Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When to start monitoring movement?

(6 Posts)
NewMrsX Mon 13-Jul-15 23:22:33

I'm 23 weeks and been feeling movement since about 20 weeks. The problem I have is some days baby is really active and other days I feel hardly anything and on those days I panic.

I've read that you shouldn't monitor movement closely until after 28 weeks as baby is small and if he changes position I just might not feel him as much. I can't remember where I read this though, does this info sound about right?

Thanks

Harriet220909 Mon 13-Jul-15 23:31:58

Hi. I work on a maternity unit.
Do not count the kicks! It is adviced to but causes unnecessary stress.
It is completly right that a baby a change position and u can't feel it at this stage so please try not to worry
U will get to know babies movement ie more active in the morning
By about 30 weeks u should know babies routine.
My little one would be almost completly still up until about 11pm then u would honestly think a disco was going on in there
Once u have got to know babies routine if there is reduced movement then do not hesitate to call midwife
Relax and enjoy x

Anna2710 Tue 14-Jul-15 01:31:48

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 23 weeks and some days baby moves all day and other days barely feel her and I panic. I don't seem to have any pattern to movement at all yet.

scatterbrainedlass Tue 14-Jul-15 09:35:41

It takes time, I'm 26 weeks tomorrow and it's only been in this last week that I've started noticing a pattern, and even then it's not like clockwork every day. As long as I've felt some movement at some point during the day I'm not overly worried, usually the following day will be back to normal again.

NewMrsX Tue 14-Jul-15 13:13:44

Thank you for the comments, I feel much calmer about it now. It just seems there is always something to worry about with pregnancy! Thought I'd feel better after the 20 week scan but I dont. I just can't wait till he is here and I can see he's okay!

scatterbrainedlass Wed 15-Jul-15 15:40:40

Haha, you think you've cleared a hurdle and up pops another one... sometimes it feels like all this information is put out there just to terrify you! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now