Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sick Time off work! :-/

(12 Posts)
MissMartin10 Mon 13-Jul-15 18:57:33

I know that my employer cannot dimiss me for being off sick with morning sickness so I'm not worried about that but i feel guilty for being off, i was signed off at 7+3 from my doctor and returned today at 12+1 but im still really bad I'm being sick at work. .can't concentrate. . feel dizzy and hot.. tired & constantly feeling sick.
i really feel like i need some more time off as i just can't cope but im worried what my employer will think!
My manager is the most lovliest women in the whole world and genuinely cares about me so i have support there.. is there anyone who has/had alot of time off work/ your experiences? how long was you signed off for ect...
Thanks smile x

theaveragebear1983 Mon 13-Jul-15 19:20:21

In this pregnancy and my last one (same employer) I have had 4 weeks off each time with morning sickness, and this time I've also had a few other days off with various pregnancy ailments. Plus an afternoon off every 2nd Monday to attend diabetes clinic, extra scans, consultants etc....feel like I've hardly been there. I've also been on reduced duties since I returned from my sickness at 12 weeks. I work in a 'dangerous ' environment you could say, so they have been very good at keeping me safe and basically haven't challenged or contested a single request I have made (which isn't many to be honest, but they could have been arsey). I think if you get on well with your employer (which shouldn't actually matter) if you still feel Ill and unable to work, then extend your sick note until you feel better. I always think that I know I'm ready to go back to work when I start getting bored....

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Mon 13-Jul-15 19:35:22

I only started my job in September 2014 and found out that I was pregnant in January. Since then I've had three weeks signed off sick for dizzy spells, more individual sick days than I can count (like, 20+) and for the last 3 months I've had every Wednesday off for medical appointments. I'm also just working core hours (10 till 6pm) every day. I am not exactly competing for employee of the month. I feel a bit guilty from time to time but as my totally lovely employers keeping telling me, I have to put my heath and the baby's health first and this is only 9 months out of what will hopefully be a 20-30 year career. My biggest mistake has been the odd time I've gone back into work before I was ready . . . all I've managed to do is make myself sicker and had to take more time off. So look after yourself!!

Skiptonlass Mon 13-Jul-15 19:45:20

Go back to the docs... Take the time if you need it.

It's a massive regret of mine that I didn't. I somehow managed to work through being sick 12+ times a day (my boss, alas, is not as nice as yours....) and I was stupid to do that. I'm still sick now at almost six months, I have spd and I'm EXHAUSTED. I do wonder if I'd had time to deal with it I might not feel so shit now.

This is a time in your life when you genuinely have to put your health first. I didn't and I regret it. I've had one day off sick in the last three years and frankly, my health has suffered for it. Please take care of yourself!

P.s. I have a consultant appointment in a couple of weeks about my spd. If they sign me off, I will now take it ;)

PontyGirl Mon 13-Jul-15 20:11:34

I was off for 20 weeks! I had severe hyperemesis and was quite poorly. Don't worry about it, do what you can.

MissMartin10 Mon 13-Jul-15 20:22:01

thanks ladies! I'll call the dr in the morning asoon as they open at 8am (hate how you have to queue to get through on the mornings lol) and go and see what they say..hopefully they will sign me off again. . i can't discuss with dp as he may thinks i should get on with it like there is nothing wrong angry ahh well.. smile

mummyneedinganswers Tue 14-Jul-15 03:32:11

I was off sick for 12 weeks through hospital admissions hyperemesis and ruptured ovarian cyst while pregnant. Takethe time u need I eventually had to resign as they badgered me about my sickness and I'm still sick now and have GD so just gave up to concentrate on me n baby xx

MissMartin10 Tue 14-Jul-15 09:21:17

well i went in this morning and felt awful so left i have a doctors appointment at 11.30.. hopefully i can get anther sick note!

MissMartin10 Tue 14-Jul-15 09:21:58

mummy wish i could. . my dp is so not understanding to how i feel! sad

LilacWine7 Wed 15-Jul-15 17:46:45

I've been off sick with HG most of my pregnancy. Tried to return a few times on reduced hours, but felt so unwell I ended up on long-term sick leave. My boss is very kind and understanding. I've had around 20weeks off sick so far (I'm now 31 weeks and unlikely to return to work before mat-leave as still vomiting a lot).

Don't feel guilty about taking sick-leave if you need it. Battling into work when you feel awful tends to prolong sickness and make it worse. You're protected by law when pregnant, so your employer can't dismiss you or pursue disciplinary action for pregnancy-related sick-leave, and it doesn't go on your normal attendance record. Though I think if you're off sick from 34weeks onwards they can insist you start mat-leave early.

MissMartin10 Wed 15-Jul-15 17:53:34

aww lilac sounds like you have it really hard sad .. hope your okay x

I'm planning on mat leave at 36weeks but my full sickpay runs out on the 21st July then i go into half pay for 60 working days then nothing confused i can live off half pay but im trying to save for when baby is here as i hoping to take a year off.. suppose i can always go to the bank of dad grin

MissMartin10 Wed 15-Jul-15 17:54:24

the doctor has also diagnosed me with hg.. its so drainning isn't it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now