Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Everything's changed

(23 Posts)
CrumpetHead Mon 13-Jul-15 14:38:11

This time last year I was 8 months pregnant and now I'm just over 4 months with second pregnancy, so much has changed in a year! All the appointments are different and at my appointment today they told me that they don't check the heartbeat at all anymore either, has anyone else heard of this? She said they were relying on the heart beat too much when we should be concentrating on movements more but I haven't felt any movements yet and didn't until I was 20+ weeks last time either so would have liked heartbeat checked just to put my mind at rest. I think it's stupid.

coneywonder Mon 13-Jul-15 14:40:51

That sounds ridiculous. Where I am they check the heart beat every appointment from 16 weeks. I know in some areas they start it at 20 weeks though. There's a section in the notes for what the heartbeat is so why would that be there? I'd ask for a second opinion which it sounds like you will be doing! How strange!?

CrumpetHead Mon 13-Jul-15 14:47:47

I know, it's so stupid. They checked at every appointment when I was pregnant last time too confused

Fugghetaboutit Mon 13-Jul-15 14:50:21

You don't get as many appointments with your second unless you have complications the first time.

Would've thought they'd check the heartbeat at 16 weeks though. I have mine next week and will see.

mayaknew Mon 13-Jul-15 14:51:10

Same here I'm 11 weeks and my ds is 2 and it's all changed since I had him .

They no longer scan at 12 weeks here but at 13 weeks instead . They also don't give you an initial MW appointment the first time I saw a MW was at 9 weeks for my booking appointment .

When I had ds they didn't check heartbeat until after 20 weeks they said before then sometimes it's still either too hard to find or faint and it causes unnecessary worry .

They checked heartbeat at all my appointments after 20 weeks though .

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Mon 13-Jul-15 14:51:36

Crumpet my area don't check the heartbeat at all either, and said exactly the same to me! I wonder if we're in the same area?

CrumpetHead Mon 13-Jul-15 15:29:05

Maya, same here first pregnancy I had first scan at 11 weeks 1 day and this time around first scan was 13 weeks 6 days!

Grotbag, I'm in South Wales smile

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Mon 13-Jul-15 15:32:46

Ah Bristol here!
My booking in this time was 10 weeks, scan at 13. Much fewer appointments overall and no heartbeat checking. I understand the logic about movements being more important but it is nice to hear the heart!

DidILeaveTheGasOn Mon 13-Jul-15 15:36:22

They didn't want to check the heartbeat with me and I looked so crestfallen they did it anyway. Thank goodness for that, because it meant a lot to me, and it's not really down to them to withdraw something like that without discussing it properly, we are not a rabble of children.

tinyme135 Mon 13-Jul-15 15:46:48

I'm only 14 weeks so I can't comment on the heart beat part but I had my booking appointment at 9 weeks and my dating scan at 12 weeks. I can understand not doing the heartbeat at 16 weeks cause I've heard it's really hard to find and makes many women paranoid and worried (I know I would be). But I dunno from 20 weeks on. I'd love to hear the heartbeat just so I know it's there smile

KatyN Mon 13-Jul-15 17:36:15

What!!! I have my second mw appt tomorrow and I'm 16 weeks. I am totally looking forward to hearing the heartbeat. If the rest of this week is anything to go by I might cry if they don't listen!!!

lauraa4 Mon 13-Jul-15 19:53:23

I've heard the heartbeat at every midwife appointment since 16 weeks. I thought they did it to check it's beating at a normal pace?!

Hummingbird15 Mon 13-Jul-15 20:14:08

In the December birth group we've had a real mix of whether people have had the heartbeat measured at 16 weeks or not - I'd say it seems about 50:50 on hospitals that do and don't now.

AmberLav Mon 13-Jul-15 20:16:50

It's funny, I've been doing the pregnant thing since 2010, and nothing has changed at all in my area! I've always been able to hear the heartbeat at 16 weeks, just heard it last week...

LumpyCustard69 Mon 13-Jul-15 20:19:30

How crazy confused
I'm on my second pregnancy.
They check the heartbeat every appointment after 16 weeks here. And if you have concerns about movements and you go to maternity assessment unit, they hook you up and monitor baby's heartbeat AND movements.

Booking in appointment between 8 and 10 weeks. First scan between 12 and 14 weeks.

applecore0317 Mon 13-Jul-15 20:19:36

My midwives didn't start listening to the heartbeat until 24 weeks onwards

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Mon 13-Jul-15 20:50:52

I had my 16 week appointment last week & MW checked the heartbeat & said she'd do it at every appointment from now on...

chasingtherainbow Mon 13-Jul-15 20:51:51

Also in Bristol. 2nd pregnancy and mw said they don't listen to hb at 16 week appointment anymore. I burst into tears and she did it for me!

Nottalotta Tue 14-Jul-15 05:14:54

I didn't hear the heartbeat till well after the 20wk scan, maybe 28weeks? Mw has checked it each time since then though.

laura825 Tue 14-Jul-15 08:14:00

I'm in Gloucester and my midwife has listened to the heartbeat at every appointment since my 16 weeks appointment, she even sent me to the hospital at one point as the rate was high, I don't understand how they can check this vital signs of they don't listen to it at each appointment!

scatterbrainedlass Tue 14-Jul-15 09:29:02

I think it can depend on the MW too? My community MW never checked my urine, so I had it checked at booking in at the hospital at 12 weeks, then at 25 weeks when I ended up with a new community MW.

AliOh Tue 14-Jul-15 09:33:32

In west wales here and I asked at my 16 week appointment re checking the heartbeat as she wasn't going to - she said that it's not recommended they do it anymore as often they can't find it and it causes more stress, she did listen in for me and eventually found it but it was very faint. I'm 36 weeks now with ds2, ds1 is only 14 months and it all seems to have changed in only a year!

MissMartin10 Tue 14-Jul-15 10:23:36

they check heartbeat here every appointment from 16w.. so strange different areas do different things hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now