Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Scared...

(5 Posts)
sjd114 Mon 13-Jul-15 10:55:46

I'm scared. I'll be brutally honest with you, I'm petrified.. I did my clear blue test (1-2 weeks) so (3-4) weeks.. and my doctors surgery is terrible . They open at 8:30 & all the appointments are gone at 8:32.. & it's impossible to get an appointment . & i dont particularly want to tell the receptionist i know the gp will tell me to wait & come back when I'm further along, but as it's my first- I just can't help but worry.. worry I'm doing something wrong. Ahhh!! My brain is frazzled ! Any advice is so welcoming. - Sam x

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 13-Jul-15 11:03:03

At the first doctors appointment they just tell you go take folic acid and check blood pressure and ask which hospital you want to go to - nothing very exciting!
So you could register directly with the hospital. I did that this time on their website and never bothered with the gp. I knew which hospital I wanted though and they allowed online bookings, i don't think they all do.

TheTravellingLemon Mon 13-Jul-15 11:09:49

Congratulations sjd. No need to panic about appointments. Call and make a non emergency one if you can. At my surgery the emergency ones are released at 8.30 every morning, but you can book in advance.

I couldn't self refer as Abbey did, but you can in some areas.

You will have a booking in appointment with your midwife at around 8 weeks, so you have plenty of time. Also, as Abbey said, the GP is just a formality really, but it is helpful to know which hospital you would like to be under before your appointment.

No need for panic! Congratulations again flowers

Appleblossom82 Mon 13-Jul-15 11:11:48

You dont need to worry at all. There is nothing gp can do other than tell you:

* to eat well and rest
* to take folic acid and vit d (you can just take a mum to be supplement. I take sanatagen mum to be which is available in the supermarket)
* dont take any other supplements or medication other than ones approved by your doc
* painkiller wise you can have paracetamol if necessary but other things are not advised.
* follow guidelines on alcohol and food guidance (all available on nhs website).
* dont smoke or take illegal drugs
* restrict caffeine to 200ml per day. A can of coke is 40ml, cup of instant coffee is 100ml, mug of tea is 75ml.
* dont do any heavy lifting or straining

Truly you do not need to see your gp unless anything is wrong. Just tell the receptionist you are 4 weeks pregnant and they will most likely refer you straight to the midwives. Then you will be able to make a booking in appointment.

As long as you feel fine and no pain or bleeding then there is no reason to be worried or see your gp. I am 24 weeks with my first and have not seen my gp at all.

Maybe get a book? I can recommend 'the modern girls guide to pregnancy' and 'your new pregnancy bible'.

Appleblossom82 Mon 13-Jul-15 13:01:06

Just checked and that first book is actually called 'pregnancy for modern girls'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now