Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Insomnia

(10 Posts)
Appleblossom82 Mon 13-Jul-15 06:25:20

24 weeks and have not had any sleep for 4 nights now. I feel like a zombie. I am so tired but i just cannot sleep. It isnt baby moving or not being able to get comfortable, i just cannot fall asleep.

Now got to get up for work and feel like bawling my eyes out.

tinyme135 Mon 13-Jul-15 07:19:59

Oh honey I'm sorry, I'm feeling like that after only having 4 hours sleep so I'm thinking it's that's times 10.

Hugs all round xx

Appleblossom82 Mon 13-Jul-15 07:39:56

Thank you.

Wish i could stay home but already had a couple of sick days over last couple of months so dont want to take the piss confused

CarShare Mon 13-Jul-15 11:09:08

Hi Apple,
You're a better women than me! I'm currently off sick for the day after a few nights of very disturbed sleep. It's really rubbish isn't it. I try to focus on clearing my mind entirely and focussing on my breathing. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The GP can prescribe meds/sign you off if you wanted to look into either option. I'm very similar in that I feel guilty for calling in sick but I always try to think that if a colleague of mine was in the same boat and struggling with pregnancy I wouldn't expect them to get on with it without taking the odd day off (I've had two this pregnancy- just 10 weeks along). I hope you manage through the day ok- take care x

Appleblossom82 Mon 13-Jul-15 13:06:56

Thanks carshare. I made it to lunch and loaded up on carbs and sugar to help me through the afternoon!

I didnt know you could be signed off for that kind of thing so thats helpful to know thank you. If it carries on like this i shall certainly be looking into that.

Hope you have had some sleep this morning.

Skiptonlass Mon 13-Jul-15 19:58:19

Insomnia is truly awful - I'm a terrible sleeper and I feel your pain. After several days without you do go kind of loopy. I think there's a point beyond which it feeds off itself isn't there? Like you need adrenaline to keep going...such an awful feeling.

I would take a day or two off if you can. Get checked by your GP to exclude any physical cause (important.) I'm assuming that you've done all the obvious stuff (sleep hygiene, warm milk etc) so I won't mention that but one thing that I've found helpful is to give myself permission just to rest in bed. Don't try to sleep, just tell yourself it's ok. I don't have to get up tomorrow, there's no pressure to sleep, I'm just here resting in bed.

I don't find the 'get up and do something else if you're not asleep within 15 mins' useful - it makes me more wound up if anything.

So my advice is:

Take a couple of days off.
Go see your GP to exclude a physical cause
Get up a couple of hours earlier than normal the next day no matter how shit you feel
Be physically active and outdoors if you can all that day.
If you're near a pool, go swimming. I don't know why, but cool water is tiring
That evening, fresh sheets, try not to fret about sleeping. No screens or phones after 6pm. Dim the lights after 7pm.
You don't have to get up tomorrow you're just going to rest. Doesn't matter if you don't sleep, just aim to lie in bed, eyes closed

If it continues, go back to your GP.

Appleblossom82 Mon 13-Jul-15 20:21:16

Thanks skipton. Excellent advice.

I have 2 weeks off from friday so ploughing on towards that.

Tonight im trying a bath with lavender before bed and clean sheets. Tomorrow night im going to go for a swim. Fx i get at least a few hours tonight.

soloula Mon 13-Jul-15 21:10:59

When I was pregnant with DD I had terrible insomnia - I was ok getting to sleep but my problem was staying asleep. I used to give myself a wee while in bed and if I couldn't sleep then I got up and had a cup of ovaltine and maybe a wee half slice of toast, watched something relaxing on TV, listened to a wee bit of music or read a wee bit downstairs then when I was feeling sleepy again I'd head back to bed. I found it better getting up as if I lay too long I'd just get exasperated about not sleeping meaning there was less chance of me dropping back off.

ToddleWaddle Mon 13-Jul-15 21:17:00

I suffered terribly in my last two pregnancies. I found a walk in evening, camomile tea and relaxation MP3 helped, particularly the hypo birthing one. Yoga helped too.
If no success I would get up for a while, read, have a banana and glass of milk and back to bed.
if it's any consolation it prepares you very well for the sleepless nights ahead!

Appleblossom82 Tue 14-Jul-15 06:08:35

I got around 5 hours of broken sleep last night which compared to the last 4 nights is heaven! Thanks ladies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now