Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

contractions

(4 Posts)
samroberts2 Sun 12-Jul-15 14:01:17

im 39 weeks pregnant ftm. this is a silly question but how will i know when im having contractions?

hartmel Sun 12-Jul-15 14:10:11

Oh you will know!
With my first I got induced and stayed in the hospital until he was born.
But with my second I went natural, I also thought "how will I know." I had Braxton hicks for about 6 weeks before she was born. So I was even more scare as the Braxton hicks where really intense. But on morning I woke up with contractions that felt way different then Braxton hicks then I knew. My daughter was born 3 hours later

Congrats on your pregnancy and all the best

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 12-Jul-15 14:40:42

Because they really bloody hurt wink. They will get steadily more and more painful and closer together, there's no mistaking them!

LongDayAlready Sun 12-Jul-15 17:45:55

Hmm, I have to say I didn't recognise them with my first - I spent about 6 hours on the loo just feeling I really really needed to go - and the feeling got sharper here and there. Eventually went into hosp after DH spoke to labour ward - turns out the increased feeling of needing to go was a contraction but nothing happened round my tummy, no visible tightening and all the feeling was increased pressure on my back passage. And I was 7cm dilated when I arrived. With DC2 & 3, I had classic pains around the bump which were much easier to recognise. Although labour for DC2 kicked off with mild achiness and I had very slight contractions which were regular but not v painful - called midwife due to distance apart tho still not terribly painful and DD was born 3 hours later. DC3 was the only one with contractions start to finish - waiting to see what DC4 decides to do!

Any doubts just call the labour ward - they've seen everything before!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: