Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Employment dilemma

(24 Posts)
Londonmummy01 Sat 11-Jul-15 13:57:50

So I'm currently 5 weeks pg in a crummy call centre job that I started 2.5 months ago, (was a bit desperate). I've now just been offered a Social worker position double the salary and a bit nervous about what to do.
If I stay at this job at nhs I will qualify for sat mat pay but not if I move on to new position. Also I know I'm not obligated to tell new employer about pg but is it a bit naughty if I don't? I would be intending to return prob after 6 months as finances won't allow for me to be off for much longer.
Dp is worried that new position will be stressful and slightly risky (with mental health patients) which is possible but the thought of continuing in this mundane position for the next 6 months makes my eyes water. I've tried to calculate that the benefits of new salary in 6 months would prob still out way the CTC top ups over a year.
Also worried I have previously had v bad morning sickness and worried if by the time I get my start date my head will be constantly down the loo... Not a good look for the newbie.

Any (kind) opinions welcome smile

LaurieFairyCake Sat 11-Jul-15 14:04:52

Social worker?

You will be protected and it will be great. It literally is a no brainer.

mrschatty Sat 11-Jul-15 14:09:16

Go for it- even if you don't get the mat pay etc it'll be a career move your grateful for in future congratulations

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 11-Jul-15 14:11:39

If you're not entitled to mat pay, you may be entitled to maternity allowance. If you google, there is info re: entitlements

rallytog1 Sat 11-Jul-15 14:13:25

You should qualify for maternity allowance in the new job even if you don't get stat mat pay (think you have to have worked 26 of the 66 weeks before your qualifying week) - so you wouldn't lose that much money?

Londonmummy01 Sat 11-Jul-15 14:51:20

Yes fairy cake it is for a social worker.
I guess I just feel a bit of a fraud for not saying up front.

Thanks ladies for the support, I read up and can get mat allowance but will only be £139 a week �� I'll be back at work with the baby tied to my back lol

Londonmummy01 Sat 11-Jul-15 14:52:05

* saying to the employer that is.

ARV1981 Sat 11-Jul-15 15:11:47

Lots of people don't even know they're pregnant at 5 weeks... so don't feel bad for not telling them.

Congratulations!

newbian Sat 11-Jul-15 15:14:29

I wouldn't tell any employer until 12/13 weeks, it's still very early days. Take the job, congrats!

ammature Sat 11-Jul-15 16:04:38

Take the job, career progress is really important and you don't need to tell your employer until 25 weeks. I'm in the same boat, interviewed for a post at 6 weeks pregnant and My start date I will be about 18 weeks. I've decided to tell them after my 12 week scan as I want to be upfront. Having a baby is a life event but doesn't mean you should turn down opportunities to progress IMO. Congrats on both !

sianihedgehog Sat 11-Jul-15 17:29:52

Lots of people think it doesn't even really count until you are 12 weeks. I agree, absolutely a no brainer, definitely take the job!

tattyteddy Sat 11-Jul-15 17:54:31

Hi OP, something similar happened with me. I got offered children's social worker job in dec last year. However by the time started in feb 2015 I was about five weeks pregnant with baby number 2. So I just started and told them when I was about 14 weeks. It wasn't ideal but I wanted the job and people go off all the time to have babies! Xx

Lunastarfish Sat 11-Jul-15 19:42:12

Statutory maternity pay is only 90% of salary for first 6 weeks then £139 per week up until the 39th week. If you've only been at your job for 2.5 months i would be very suprised if you qualify for Any enhanced maternity pay. You would only be roughly one month's pay worst off by starting a new job and applying for maternity allowance. In addition,if your new salary is double your current salary you have at least 6 months to save. It seems pretty clear you should take the new job.

Londonmummy01 Sat 11-Jul-15 19:57:06

Thx tatty that makes me feel better. Although I'll be the only SW in the company so they will still need a replacement whilst I'm on leave but hey ho!
Starting to feel excited now. My contract should have arrived today in the post so will see the full details when I get home.

Londonmummy01 Sat 11-Jul-15 20:00:51

Starfish I agree about the saving up, financially this will be better for the next 6 months.
Although with current job I think I would have reached the qualifying sat mat pay but the time I was 15 weeks before due date?
Anyhow as you say I think it's onwards and upwards... Can't wait to hand in my notice

GlitzAndGigglesx Sat 11-Jul-15 20:05:47

You have to have worked for 26 weeks continuously up until the qualifying week of your edd which is 15 weeks before to qualify for SMP

DimpleHands Sat 11-Jul-15 21:29:12

Take the job! Employers aren't allowed to discriminate against you so don't discriminate against yourself for them!

whatsoever Sat 11-Jul-15 21:55:52

Putting the pay to one side, just look into the rest of the maternity laws first - part of maternity leave is that the employer is obliged to keep the job for you when you come back from mat leave. I'm not sure either way they would be obliged to do that if you didn't qualify for stat mat leave.

I suspect they would keep it open for you anyway but defo worth checking your rights.

Londonmummy01 Sat 11-Jul-15 22:43:44

No post on arrival home boooo! hmm
Oh well roll on Monday.
Good thinking pp once I get the contract I can have a better idea of what I'm working with and check any laws etc.
right now finally collapsing into bed after packing for glamping tomorrow

Sockmatcher Sat 11-Jul-15 22:46:52

Is it your first SW position? Will you be doing your AYSE. If so you have two years to start it..... so yes take it

Londonmummy01 Sat 11-Jul-15 23:00:24

Hey sock, well since qualifying I've been both self employed SW and pt at a charity but nothing front line. I don't think I can even do that now as I'm 4+ years post qual?

ammature Sun 12-Jul-15 00:17:21

Dimple hands thank you for saying that, I'm in a similar position and you've just articulated it so succinctly. Cheers!

Sockmatcher Sun 12-Jul-15 00:22:46

Do you mean ayse or front line? I expect you could do both?

Junosmum Sun 12-Jul-15 08:47:14

To put it in perspective your only missing out on 6 weeks at 90% of your pay. It isn't that much. And it's a much better job and you're much more likely to get family friendly policies and things. Tell a little white lie and say you only just found out- you're not that far along so it's totally pull-offable.

I'm an SW with adults, my direct manager knows but hasn't passed it on because I'm on a temp contract but I'm awaiting permanent contract and she's advised that I wait until then to give them a formal record of my pregnancy. My job won't change because I'm pg anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now