Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pounding heart

(12 Posts)
jurisane Sat 11-Jul-15 03:05:23

Is it normal to feel your heartbeat pounding throughout your entire body so much? I'm 25 weeks today and this has been happening for a couple weeks now. Its worse when I lay down but also happens sometimes when I'm just sitting at my desk at work. My blood pressure was good at my last appointment. I don't remember exactly what it was but its usually kind of low.

Also happens when I climb the stairs at home but I assume that's normal (I've been taking the elevator at work). It does get a little scary when I'm out of breath from climbing the stairs and then it feels like my heart is trying to pound its way out of my chest.

RolyPolierThanThou Sat 11-Jul-15 03:53:44

Could be anemia. I got a call from my mw yesterday to say my 28w blood test results showed im anemic and should contact my gp. She asked whether Ive been short of breath, pounding heart, tired.

It does explain why climbing stairs is so hard compared to my last pregnancies.

Symptoms include breathlessness and pounding heart from even small efforts, inability to concentrate, low mood.

Your iron levels will be checked as part of the glucose tolerance test at 28 weeks. They will be interested in both the actual figure ( under 10.9 is a concern) and the drop since your booking appt (more than 2 is a concern)

Sophieelmer Sat 11-Jul-15 04:04:20

I'd say the same anaemia and/or dehydration. Are you taking a multivit?

jurisane Sat 11-Jul-15 16:51:16

I am taking a multivitamin and its got iron in it. My mother is anemic so I have been tested for it before. I've got another month until my 28 week appointment. Do you think I need to be tested before that? Or do I just need to slow down a bit?

plonkie Sat 11-Jul-15 18:30:01

Tbh I have this and def not anaemic or anything. Blood pressure fine too. If I'm sitting down just chilling I can see my body shake with my pulse too, esp in boobs and tummy. If I walk upstairs it feels like my hearts going to burst out! Also I have pregnancy tinnitus and can always hear my pulse. Read somewhere it's common because the amount of blood you have in your body increases during pregnancy, and generally baby puts a strain on you too (also, taking up space for your lungs to expand properly!).

Jelliebabe1 Sun 12-Jul-15 07:34:22

I could have posted this (I'm 23 weeks) I've googled and it appears normal, but I've a consultant appointment Friday so I'm going to bring it up then too!

lagirafe Sun 12-Jul-15 07:50:34

Common symptom of anaemia and vit B12 deficiency.
Maybe mention to your midwife and she will run your bloods again x

Shootingstar2289 Sun 12-Jul-15 08:19:44

I get it all the time. They are worse when resting and lying down which is bizarre. I get palpotations too..

I had it occasionally before I was pregnant but they have become increasingly worse in pregnancy.

In the end, I visited my GP who wasn't too concerned but did an ECG which was normal and said it's a mix of pregnancy and anxiety (I do get anxiety)

I would suggest, visiting your GP to put your mind at rest if you're concerned smile

Shootingstar2289 Sun 12-Jul-15 08:20:52

Also had blood tests for Aneamia and Thyroid problems to rule that out! Which both came back fine.

jurisane Mon 13-Jul-15 00:39:42

Thanks all. I'll call the nurse tomorrow and see what she says.

BinToHellAndBack Mon 13-Jul-15 14:47:04

I always get this when pregnant and it goes as soon as I give birth. It's horrible but for me was never associated with any high blood pressure or other concerning symptoms (do mention it to your midwife though).

Your blood volume changes significantly during pregnancy so that may be something to do with it.

NeophyteStarfish Mon 13-Jul-15 16:46:47

Hi Jurisane, I agree with the others but you can get symptoms before the anaemia shows on a full blood count..

Make sure they check your Ferritin levels too if they give you a blood test. This is your iron store so can indicate when you're on the verge of becoming anaemic even if the blood count is in normal range.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now