Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Induction...your thoughts?

(64 Posts)
HollyC255552 Fri 10-Jul-15 16:07:42

Hi ladies,

Currently booked in to have induction on Tuesday at 39+2 due to baby's growth as she is slightly on the smaller side & she hasnt grown much since 36 week scan. Consultant thinks it would be best to induce me rather than leave her be. I'm soooo nervous but of course excited too.

Would like to hear your experiences etc

Thanks!

Xx

ClearlyOpaque Fri 10-Jul-15 16:19:54

I was induced at 37+4 due a combination of an unexplained bleed, fibroids and my age (ahem). I was already 3cm, so they broke my waters and got me to walk around for a few hours. Nothing happened, so I got the drip. Contractions ramped up quickly and my little man was born 4 hours after the drip started. It was a good experience, but the contractions became unbearable pretty quickly (which I think is common with induction) and although I begged for one, there was ok time for an epidural. I don't mind about that now, but my advice would be if you think you'll want an epidural, get it in place before the drip starts.

ClearlyOpaque Fri 10-Jul-15 16:20:20

*No time for an epidural

Cloe2014 Fri 10-Jul-15 18:54:53

I'm being induced on Monday. Think it's horrible have a date to go in I'm so scared, not sure how they are going to do it yet been for 2 sweeps and cervix is soft but not dialated.

OhHolyFuck Fri 10-Jul-15 19:06:27

Was induced with ds1 - went into hospital at 9am to be booked in and put on a ward
Had the first pessary at 10am, had to lie still for an hour then went off for a little walk round the grounds escaped to subway for lunch
Pains started pretty soon after the pessary went in but only like period pains
Had second pessary at 6pm and then by 9pm things had moved onto hurting quite a bit so they examined me, found I was 3/4cm and sent me to delivery suite
Got to delivery, had some pethidine, fell asleep between contractions
Woke up at 1.30am with an enormous contraction and then my waters breaking, pressed the button and the midwife came in
Changed the angle on the bed to a sitting up one and a few pushes later, ds1 was born at 1.45am
All in all, was lovely so good luck!

RandomMess Fri 10-Jul-15 19:08:49

If they want to give you the drip ask for the epidural first wink

Cloe2014 Fri 10-Jul-15 19:12:17

Thanks nice to hear positive stories cos I'm searching posts about inductions and most of them arnt good. X

HollyC255552 Fri 10-Jul-15 19:24:04

ClearlyOpaque - i've heard the contractions can ramp up pretty quickly with induction. I'm literally going to go with the flow re any pain relief. Dont want to rule anything outm

Chloe2014 - i literally dont know how i'm going to sleep Monday night as i'll be so nervous. Tried napping earlier it just wasnt happening as so much going round in my head. Please keep me updated how you get on though. Good luck with it all. X

OhHoly - Sounds positive, that wasnt too long at all. At least you managed to get a little bit of sleep. I just hope my labour isnt long.

Chillyegg Fri 10-Jul-15 19:28:28

I was induced.

Um it was alright actually.
Had a pessary.
Broke my waters with a hook.
Got to 4cm dilated asked for an epidural got one. Pretty much slept for ages and then had her. Had to have assisted delivery but that wasn't to do with the induction.
I just had a weired shaped vag

HollyC255552 Fri 10-Jul-15 19:34:23

Chillyegg - thats good to know. Was you in a lot of pain when you asked for epidural?

Cloe2014 Fri 10-Jul-15 19:36:09

I'm just gonna go with flow to I suppose you have to. I just know I'm gonna be pissed about tho I'm not an emergency so I'll be bottom of the que. My friend went into be induced n 4 hours later got sent home because they where busy

LowlLowl Fri 10-Jul-15 19:37:06

I was induced with DS. It didn't work very well with the pessary, but my waters broke and though I had no contractions they sent me for the drip anyway. Trust me, get the epidural. I thought someone was whacking me in the uterus with a bus, and DH said I was high as a kite on the gas & air! All I remember is that the anaesthetist had the loveliest eyes and was the nicest man on the entire planet for making the pain go away.

Sadly DS's heat rate kept dropping on every contraction long before I was dilated enough to push so I ended up with an emergency cs. But we were both fine, so a happy ending even though it was nothing like I'd planned.

My advice would be to understand what a cs would be like if it happens. It isn't uncommon after induction, and it was quite scary - thankfully we'd role-played it in our NCT group so I was a bit prepared.

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you! X

VenusVanDamme Fri 10-Jul-15 19:40:09

Good luck, I'd definitely recommend it when you have slow growth. I was lucky I was picked up due to preeclampsia but DS had stopped growing and placenta failing at 35 weeks.

It was fine. Straight to drip, contractions were manageable and just had gas and air at the end. Waters were broken for me but that was painless, just felt a bit odd. DS was born about 6 hours from drip starting and that was at 35 weeks.

Chillyegg Fri 10-Jul-15 19:44:58

It wasnt actually so much the pain it was i didn't react well to gas and air and kept throwing up. I just thought fuck it ill treAt my self to the big daddy meds, no ones gonna give me a medal for feeling miserable.

Cloe2014 Fri 10-Jul-15 19:51:30

No u don't get any medals for pain relief u have or don't have I've alwayssaid if it hurts give me ever thing. Iv heard a lot of stories about induction leading to a section which is something I really don't want and I'm terrified about, how can u prepare yourself for one?

HollyC255552 Fri 10-Jul-15 19:59:00

Cloe2014 - i'd be pissed if that happened to me too, hopefully that doesnt happen. Apparently i will be getting a call before 10am as to what time to go in.

LowlLowl - thank you. Glad everything was ok in the end for you. As long as baby & me are fine i dont care what route i have to take if its c-section then so be it.

Venus - Wow 35 weeks. Good to know you had a postive experience too & not long had your LO after it all started.

Chilly - i hear you..you didnt want to mess about with G&A anymore if it didnt agree with you. Might as well try the big boy out eh! Obviously worked a treat!

Chillyegg Fri 10-Jul-15 20:03:54

The only advice i can give you is try and go with thw flow. Don't have too many expectations.
And if you really want something don't be afraid to ask/kick up a fuss.
Good luck darlinks

smokedgarlic Fri 10-Jul-15 20:11:30

I have been induced three times . The mobile induction ie pessary was much more pleasant than the hormone drip . The contractions can be intense with no build up like going from 0 to 100mph but the flip side was a quick active labour. I had my babies within the hour.

frankietwospots Fri 10-Jul-15 20:15:34

Induction didn't work for me. I was 13 days overdue. I had the pessary in for 24 hours. Nada. They then put another one in for 12 hours. Still nothing. I had about 8 sweeps in all! Still nothing. Ended up with a section. They use something called a Bishop's Score to assess how respondent you are likely to be to induction. I looked at my notes and I was literally in minus numbers and noted as hard and posterior. Story of my life, ha ha!

HollyC255552 Fri 10-Jul-15 20:15:56

I'm hoping just the pessary will work & i dont have to go down the hormone drip route but then who knows. I need to mentally prepare myself for anything/everything. Not really sure how though?!

Smoked - cant believe how quick you had your babies.

RandomMess Fri 10-Jul-15 20:17:34

I've been induced 4 times 2 just with pessaries and 2 with ARM as well.

I managed the last one without an epidural and thought it was easy peasy - it was the only one I was relaxed about tbh!!!

I didn't need any assistance delivering and only ever had 1 stitch despite having big babies grin

Can be long and drawn out getting into labour which is tedious and tiring tbf.

HollyC255552 Fri 10-Jul-15 20:32:35

Wow that is amazing Random. Easy peasy? I like the sound of that!

Cloe2014 Fri 10-Jul-15 20:52:41

Yer me too! Where I live there's a new way of being induced its a cathetar balloon they insert it into the cervix and inflate it causing pressure on it to open and break your waters I didn't mind the sound of that u go home afterwards and go back 24 hours later but your cervix has to be open slightly for it to be able to go in which after having my second sweep today it my cervix isn't ready :-(

HollyC255552 Fri 10-Jul-15 20:59:22

Havent heard of the cathetar balloon. Sounds good though if you can go home & let it work its magic for a while.

Oh no can imagine so frustrating when having your 2nd sweep & your cervix isnt ready!

Cloe2014 Fri 10-Jul-15 21:06:20

I was just upset but I expected it really. Me and the other half are gonna enjoy our last weekend together before then fun begins. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now