Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low Papp-A levels

(3 Posts)
SoggyBottoms Fri 10-Jul-15 07:51:31

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can give me some context on this. I have had a letter from the hospital telling my Papp-A levels are low (0.39 MOM). They are offering me extra scans from 30 weeks for potential growth problems.

I am not worried about the Trisomy risks as I have had the Harmony test but I am worried about the possible implications for my placenta in third trimester especially as I am 41.

Has anyone any experience of this? I am trying to work out how low my levels are - what is the cut-off for normal and what is considered extremely low? Any information would be really helpful as I haven't got an appointment for five weeks and I may drive myself mad by then...Thanks.

yummymango Fri 10-Jul-15 09:25:49

My hospital has been very vague about this indeed. I had 0.44 Papp-A and was told I would have extra scans in the third trimester for the same reason. However, at my 20 week scan, the sonographer said they don't normally do extra scans for that reason, and a further scan at 30 weeks (for reduced movements) the sonographer said they only take any notice of it if it's less than 0.2. I feel like I have been told different things by different people and when I have mentioned it to midwives they look at me as if they have no idea what I am talking about. Luckily I had a consultant pick up on it and coupled with high blood pressure in a previous pregnancy I have been booked in for a scan at 36 weeks, and they have put in my notes to do a doppler scan to ensure the placenta is functioning correctly.
I have done quite a lot of research myself and can't really find anything conclusive which states that low papp-a means complications. In fact I've seen lots of people saying they had low papp-a and everything was normal. If I was you I would try not to worry about it, but just keep asking about it when you have an appointment and hopefully they will be able to explain things to you. At least they are offering you extra care in the form of scans so that should be reassuring.

SoggyBottoms Fri 10-Jul-15 15:06:58

Thank you mango - much appreciated...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now