Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dc3 - scared Of small gap

(11 Posts)
moonjumping Thu 09-Jul-15 23:07:36

Just found out I'm pg with dc3.. Wonderful in many ways as we wanted 3 and I'm 42 so got to be extra grateful. but bit worried gap will be exhausting and tough on Ds who is only just 1 and will be 20 months when baby arrives. Dd was almost 3 when ds arrived and that gap was so relaxed and easy. Thoughts or experience to share?

We left things to chance as I'm still bf, only got cycle back last month and took a year (with 1 mc) to conceive ds. So wasn't expecting anything for a while..! bit shell shocked I think. Tested today as two weeks late.. Had assumed cycle wdnt regularise straight away and thought that was why late.

ScorpioMermaid Fri 10-Jul-15 01:06:49

My smallest age gap is 11 months. it isnt actually so bad in all honesty. due monday and I'll have 3 under 3 until the end of September! (as well as another 6 between 5 and 13) smile

moonjumping Fri 10-Jul-15 06:59:56

Thanks Scorpio.. Wow that's impressive, no idea how you manage! Any other thoughts on 3 year gap and then shorter?

FernGullysWoollyPully Fri 10-Jul-15 07:05:01

My smallest age gap is 12 months and 1 week exactly. It's not as tough as you'd imagine. The routine kind of stayed the same because I had 2 babies who had mostly the same needs still in terms of nappies/bottles etc.
When dc3 came along, I had a 3 yr old not yet in nursery, a 2 year old and a newborn.

MyOneandYoni Fri 10-Jul-15 07:06:47

I had a lovely 3 year gap and then less than 15 months. No denying it's hard work. Have you got a good support network? Is your DH hands on? Mum around?
Now mine are all at school, it's an absolute delight hearing them play together. Look after yourself and don't try to be Superwoman...

tonightsthekindofnight Fri 10-Jul-15 07:08:25

I found out last June that I was expecting dc3 when dc2 had just turned one and I had very similar mixed feelings. Dc3 turned out to be identical twin girls meaning I had three daughters under 2!!!

The twins are now six months and it has been tough at times but also wonderful. My elder daughter loves her babies and loves to help me with them. I am hoping they will all be very close growing up together.

I look back now and think if dc3 had been just that it would have been a piece of cake. Congratulations and good luck!!

TravellingToad Fri 10-Jul-15 07:09:35

I had a 20m old and a Newborn. I now have a 3yr old and an 18m old and it's pretty easy now. The first year is tough, as all first years are. But mine napped at the same time which is a godsend if you can arrange that!!

No jealousy from 20m old as too little, nice having them now into similar toys. They both like duplo and want me to read the same books etc.

The first year will be hard but not necessarily because of that gap just that babies are hard but after little one is 12m it gets easier and easier. Good luck.

purplemurple1 Fri 10-Jul-15 07:12:21

Mine first was 16months when dc2 was born. Unfortunately he doesn't nap much so by 20months had stopped altogether so we didn't have similar routines at all with them. Dc1 was also eating normal food and using a cup a few months before dc2 came along.
But dc1 has always been great with dc2 - hugs and kisses her gently, understands she is a baby, fetches her things etc.

The word bit was dc1 had previously slept through since 2 months and that has got worse with him waking more often.

lilyfire Fri 10-Jul-15 07:14:32

I have those gaps between my 3. 22.5 months between 1 and 2 and 19 months between 2 and 3. It was absolutely fine - although obviously hard work. I found I was still sort of in 'baby zone' after 2 so that things didnt really seem to get much more chaotic with 3. I actually found it easier going 2 to 3 than 1 to 2. It's really nice now because the two little ones are very close. Would recommend as an age gap.

scarednoob Fri 10-Jul-15 07:25:23

My friend has the same gap. It was hard at first but as soon as they were toddling around it became much easier as they entertained each other. They're still best friends and they are 5 and 6 now. Your middle DC won't ever know anything different, remember.

Congratulations!

moonjumping Sun 12-Jul-15 04:01:50

Thanks all, that's really reassuring. Starting to feel more excited now.. Wow Today, that must have been some moment when you found out dc3 was 3 and 4..! Scorpio, good luck if your due date is shortly. MyOne, I do have good support, dh is pretty hands on and family help a lot.

Were any of you ladies bf yr older child when younger one arrived and tips if so? I fed DD til 2 so if do same with DS will have to tandem feed. DS also in bed with us most nights from 2/3am which wd be tricky with newborn. Didn't have that with DD as largely slept thru ft 6 months and just fed in day. Thiughts/experience here?

Tvm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now