Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If other family members have had placentas that have stopped working, am I more at risk?

(5 Posts)
Frillsandspills Thu 09-Jul-15 22:40:43

One of my aunts discovered that her placenta was having problems during born her pregnancies about 16 years ago. Both babies were born fine and healthy but by c section a few weeks early.

One of my cousins (my aunts other niece) sadly lost a child as he was stillborn because his placenta failed too. Then during her second pregnancy at a private scan they found the same thing was happening so she had to deliver her at 27 weeks and she weighed just 1lb 2oz although she is lovely and healthy now.

Is this something I should really mention to my midwife? It does make me panic as it's happened to a two people in my family but a lot of people had completely healthy pregnancies.

Just wondering if anyone knew whether this sort of stuff ran in the family?

Onemilliongal Thu 09-Jul-15 22:55:08

It's always worth mentioning anything at the end of the day it's better to be sure than sorry and all they can do is monitor your pregnancy by offering extra scans however I thought it runs more on mums side say if your mum had those problems and may be one of your sisters.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 09-Jul-15 23:15:32

I don't know the answer but I'd say it's worth mentioning at booking just in case as they might decide to do extra scans.

Frillsandspills Thu 09-Jul-15 23:59:28

Ah thank you. I will mention it to my midwife. The family it's happened to are both on my mums side if that makes a difference, I only found out it had happened to my aunt today really so it had been on my mind.

ThreeFrazzledFandangos Fri 10-Jul-15 00:15:42

Yes mention it.

Have you had your booking in appointment yet? At mine there was a section on my green notes that asked about family history of miscarriages etc and we discussed any likelihood of risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now