Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Got PCOS and have a test on Monday for gestational diabetes, will I definately have it??

(11 Posts)
anroga Thu 09-Jul-15 14:51:52

I am 38 years old pregnant with my first baby through ICSI (unexplained infertility), I have had PCOS for over 10 years now controlled with metformin.

I have my GTT test on Monday and am worried it will confirm I have gestational diabetes, anyone been in the same position and outcome has been negative?

tinyme135 Thu 09-Jul-15 15:03:48

I have pcos and I think I had the blood test done on my booking appointment but I dunno my results yet so I'm hoping it's fine too

Skiptonlass Thu 09-Jul-15 15:06:52

More likely, but not inevitable.

Good luck. It's best you know as then you can take measures to ameliorate it.

lauraa4 Thu 09-Jul-15 16:05:05

I have PCOS and had my GTT two weeks ago which came back negative.

Not everyone with PCOS does contract gestational diabetes smile I was worried too beforehand though so I know how you feel.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Thu 09-Jul-15 16:07:07

I have PCOS and have spent my pregnancy so far worrying I was going to test positive . . . 33 weeks and all clear so far! Fingers crossed for you!

WombOfOnesOwn Thu 09-Jul-15 16:15:12

Inositol, about 2000-3000 mg per day, has been shown in repeated studies to be very useful for reducing the incidence of GD and pre-e for pregnant PCOS women. Check out scholar.google.com and look for "inositol" "PCOS" "gestational diabetes." You'll see it's quite safe and well tolerated, and that this is a relatively new treatment modality with a high success rate--most OBs don't even know about it yet, it's so new.

LumpyCustard69 Thu 09-Jul-15 16:22:01

I have pcos. This is my second pregnancy, and I haven't had GD for either (I'm 33 weeks). I also have a higher bmi than I should. Don't fret. Even if you do have it, it can be controlled.

youlemming Thu 09-Jul-15 16:22:51

No it's one of a number of risk factors that could trigger GD but not inevitable, I have come back negative in both my first and current pregnancies.

Good luck with it hope you get a negative as well and don't find it too much of a chore, take a good book as the 2 hr wait can be a drag

anroga Thu 09-Jul-15 16:25:31

Thank you all of your for your swift replies you have put my mind at rest and as you say if it does come back positive they can hopefully control it all ok. This worrying never stops does it!

Ava50x Thu 09-Jul-15 16:32:52

I also have PCOS. Currently 32+4, still negative (fingers x'd!)
My midwife takes a random blood sugar (rbs) sample at every appt to be safe but meanwhile its stayed nice and stable!

So no, its not inevitable at all, you are just at slightly higher risk.

Good luck with it all!

MrsAnxiety1 Thu 09-Jul-15 16:41:17

Think I'm in the same boat, and mine was ok but only by a VERY small margin... I'm basically following the diet plan of GD in the hopes that it, plus the metformin, will keep me in check. Good luck, better diagnosed and dealt with than not tbh. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now