Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

4cm dilated cervix half a cm thick. What's going on?

(5 Posts)
Pepperonipeteczar Thu 09-Jul-15 14:37:19

I'm 40+7 and at 6am this morning I went into hospital suspecting my waters had broken, I was examined and the midwife said waters were in tact and that my cervix was 2cm dilated and 2cm long which could just be from my previous child.

Midwife came 4 hours later for routine appointment to do a sweep and she said I was 4cm but easily stretching to 5 and that my cervix was now half a centimetre thick! Has anyone else ever had this before? I'm not in any real pain at all just a few tightenings.

christinarossetti Thu 09-Jul-15 14:39:46

What's going on?

You're heading into labour that's what.

Walk around, climb stairs side ways if you want baby to be here by tea time.

Good luck!

bakingtins Thu 09-Jul-15 14:44:11

I had my 3rd baby in 80 minutes. I suspect (though nobody checked) that the 'twinges' over the preceding days had got me part way there. Good luck!

Hophop987 Thu 09-Jul-15 15:12:15

I had no idea I was 4cm dilated with my first child as I had no pain,no tightenings, nothing. Fingers crossed you will have nice and easy labour and will come back later today to tell us you had your baby!

Mummymidwife87 Thu 09-Jul-15 17:59:06

The change in your cervix may be because of the first examination stretching your cervix. You may be in for a speedy labour

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now