Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Best maternity tights <boring thread klaxon>

(25 Posts)
Baguettes Wed 08-Jul-15 19:41:06

Apologies for the dullness of this.

Can anyone recommend some really good maternity tights? I need some nude ones and black ones - the latter around 70 denier but can be flexible on that for the right pair!

Thanks in advance cake

daisydalrymple Wed 08-Jul-15 19:47:55

I used next black ones last year, needed them for work, but I made two pairs last - something ridiculous like £7 a pair! Not sure if they were 40 or 70 denier, but definitely opaque. Comfy enough, covered bump as I grew and don't recall any awkward slippage resulting in having to hoike them up or anything.

Think I've had m&s in previous pregnancy and again, no complaints, but haven't worn nude ones. (Sympathies if you're having to wear them in this heat! I was sweltering in them last summer!)

Best wishes x

Baguettes Wed 08-Jul-15 19:50:31

Thanks Daisy! Tres helpful. The not having to yank them up thing is a big benefit grin

Appleblossom82 Wed 08-Jul-15 20:00:39

Im going to go out on a limb and say this thread is not going to be as popular as your hilarious pregnancy glamour thread. Just a hunch wink

That said, i could do with some mat tights since my normal ones now ping down under my bump and start falling down. Not a good look.

misssmilla1 Wed 08-Jul-15 20:20:09

ASOS. I'm a short arse at 5'5 but they fit fine in a medium. I got their 70 /100 denier black and navy ones

Sgtmajormummy Wed 08-Jul-15 20:20:48

My sister (a midwife) recommended buying larger sized ordinary tights with a "bum panel" and wearing them back to front so it becomes a "bump panel"! Wolford make that sort.

ACatCalledFang Wed 08-Jul-15 20:22:38

I found the Mothercare ones (black opaque) to be the best, in that the size on the packet matched the size of the tights... Not amazing (bit prone to holes round the crotch) but they did the job.

Marks and Spencer's maternity tights seemed to assume you lost 3-4 inches in leg length upon becoming pregnant.confused

Baguettes Wed 08-Jul-15 20:23:39

Yeah cheers apple grin

misss Thanks - will check ASOS out. They have a good maternity range.

sht Oooh - good thinking!

Baguettes Wed 08-Jul-15 20:24:35

Thanks cat Need to pop to mothercare tomorrow for an unrelated reason <groan> so will have a peek.

neomamma Wed 08-Jul-15 21:28:10

anything but jojo maman bebe. i am a size 10 and 5 foot 8 so not hugely tall but sometimes find tights are a little short so i bought a medium (apparently meant to fit 12-14) to be on the safe side. despite allegedly having extra fabric to spare due to being at least one size too big, the legs are so short that the gusset won't reach my crotch and so it is stuck between my thighs before i even get started, let alone once i walk anywhere. so uncomfy. should not be waddling when only 2nd trimester.... i contacted jojo and gave them feedback. their genius suggestion was that i buy the size 16-18 size....wtf?! they are really poor value for money. i had better luck with marks and spencer 7 denier effect cooling tights.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 08-Jul-15 21:36:55

I used hold ups, with the sticky bit at top of legs as then you can use them after pregnancy too. Only really works for a summer pregnancy though or it can get a bit breezy up there!

coneywonder Thu 09-Jul-15 00:17:26

H&M

HelenF35 Thu 09-Jul-15 04:18:59

I just bought a bigger size of primarks 100 denier tights which are surprisingly very good, much cheaper than maternity tights.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 09-Jul-15 05:24:11

I liked the M&s ones. Haven't ever worn nude tights. H&M did good woolly tights but the were prone to falling down.

lastnightiwenttomanderley Thu 09-Jul-15 07:38:56

As a London commuter who is 30weeks, the mere thought of tights is bringing me out in a cold sweat! I'm normally very conscious about not inflicting my pasty legs on the masses but not this summer!

eurochick Thu 09-Jul-15 07:44:25

I read a tip on here to use normal tights and just cut an inch or two down the front seam. I did that and it worked all the way through.

Skiptonlass Thu 09-Jul-15 08:50:34

Agre that they all have such short legs. I'm only five foot three (!) and I have found that most seem to stop mid thigh which then pulls them down leading to hoikage. Very annoying!

H&M ones are bearable but the only good ones I've found are from Lindex. True to size and long enough legs.

Top tip the lady in the shop have me is to always stretch maternity tights before you put them on.

Pepperonipeteczar Thu 09-Jul-15 08:58:15

Marks and spencer! Lovely and soft with a nice bump panel, they never ladder and are very stretchy without being baggy! I ladder just looking at them but my m&s ones have lasted me through 2 pregnancies God knows how!

Baguettes Thu 09-Jul-15 10:42:42

Thanks so much for all the replies. I feel like I have a lot of knowledge on maternity tights now. I will be sampling some and will share feedback grin

Mariamum12345 Tue 14-Jul-15 00:16:11

Got black tights online from New Look and George (ASDA) as didn't want to spend a fortune, both fine

JassyRadlett Tue 14-Jul-15 00:37:07

I have never found a pair that agreed with me.

So I now wear a second pair of pants on the outside of my tights to hold them up. Like superman.

Sliceofhamplease Tue 14-Jul-15 06:29:14

jassy grin

sizethree Tue 14-Jul-15 07:02:35

I second the asos recommendation. They have a particularly sexy silicone band (like at the top of holdup stockings - ah, those were the days. Poor DH) to help keep the belly band in place over the bump. I also have Mamas and Papas ones I got in the sale, but they are a bit rubbish. Othe bonus is that asos do navy blue which I found quite tricky to find.

BikeRunSki Tue 14-Jul-15 07:07:23

YY to ordinary tight a backwards.

Lovethebubbles Tue 14-Jul-15 07:18:39

I got on best with Boots maternity tights

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now