Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How urgent is this?

(25 Posts)
LashesandLipstick Wed 08-Jul-15 13:38:44

I've got blurred vision and black spots flashing, like an aura but without the migraine. I feel a bit unwell, dazed, and I'm not sure if one of my ankles has swelled up.

I know this can be preeclampsia and I'd usually be down at the hospital but I have a consultant appointment tomorrow, I don't drive and there's no one here, meaning I'll either have to get public transport or call an ambulance and I don't feel it's severe enough for that.

My blood pressure is normally low and I had nothing in the urine a couple of weeks ago. Can this wait until tomorrow or at least until someone gets home who can drive? I'd feel like an idiot calling an ambulance

sizethree Wed 08-Jul-15 13:40:34

I'd call nhs 24 on 111 if I were you. As it does sound like you need relatively urgent medical attention. Can you get a taxi instead of an ambulance?

ProbablyMe Wed 08-Jul-15 13:41:41

Yeah pretty urgent I would think. Better ring an ambulance that take any chances.

LashesandLipstick Wed 08-Jul-15 13:42:12

Thanks. The hospital is in a different town so not sure whether they'd drive it. Going to ring 111

claracluck1978 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:46:15

Definitely definitely go. I had fewer symptoms than you and it was found that I did have pre eclampsia at 33 weeks and had to be monitored for the remainder of my pregnancy (kept in hospital for two weeks and then had c section). I don't want to scare you but please do go get checked

LashesandLipstick Wed 08-Jul-15 13:54:41

Thanks everyone I've got an emergency GP appointment. Hope you and your baby were okay Clara!

claracluck1978 Wed 08-Jul-15 14:06:08

I had twins so was at higher risk but we were all absolutely fine as we were so well looked after
Well done for getting appointment - hope it's all fine and rest of your pregnancy is easy for you x

Penguinandminipenguin Wed 08-Jul-15 16:40:35

What did the GP say op?

LashesandLipstick Wed 08-Jul-15 17:15:51

BP raised and protein in urine, possible preeclampsia sad looks like I'm being taken to hospital sad

lexb14 Wed 08-Jul-15 17:25:05

Just wanted to say hope all goes well op x

Penguinandminipenguin Wed 08-Jul-15 17:27:17

You did the right thing then by getting checked out! Good luck at the hospital, they'll look after you. How many weeks are you?

LashesandLipstick Wed 08-Jul-15 17:29:54

Thanks smile Im 32 weeks, very nervous because I hate hospitals and DP is away and I can't get hold of him! My mums with me so I'm not alone which is good. Thanks for everyone who told me to call 111, I probably would have left it otherwise!

lastnightiwenttomanderley Wed 08-Jul-15 17:35:34

Good luck lashes - hope it all goes well. Take care.

bluewisteria Wed 08-Jul-15 17:36:49

Hope you're ok OP, really glad you went in! I've had PE twice and two healthy babies, wishing you well flowers. The most important thing is to make sure it's treated, which you are doing.

LashesandLipstick Wed 08-Jul-15 17:39:14

Thanks smile

Bluewisteria what happened? I was told they're going to want to monitor me but I don't know what that consists of. Glad you and babies were okay

Penguinandminipenguin Wed 08-Jul-15 17:40:16

Oh no, that's not good you can't get hold of Dp - that can't be helping the nerves. At least you have your mum with you so you're not alone smile

They'll probably do your blood pressure, urine, blood tests, possibly put you on the CTG machine and go from there. But you'll be in the best place possible so try not to worry! Let us know how you get on smile

sizethree Wed 08-Jul-15 17:40:32

So glad you're getting well looked after. X

bluewisteria Wed 08-Jul-15 17:43:19

Yes, what penguin says ^^ re tests. Mine happened later on and was induced as I was full term. It meant more monitoring during birth and had to be on labour ward. But I wasn't left alone for a second so was watched carefully flowers

GlitzAndGigglesx Wed 08-Jul-15 17:45:09

I had blurred vision a couple of weeks ago to accompany my swollen feet so went to the day unit where they checked urine which was fine but there was an abnormality in my liver function test. I of course wouldn't have known about it if my friends didn't urge me to go to hospital. Things have improved and I think preeclampsia is now ruled out, but they've been monitoring me very closely

claracluck1978 Wed 08-Jul-15 18:14:55

So glad you are being like after & hope you get hold of your DP soon. Will be thinking of you thanks

LashesandLipstick Wed 08-Jul-15 18:18:43

Thanks everyone

Penguinandminipenguin Thu 09-Jul-15 17:32:01

How are you today?

LashesandLipstick Thu 09-Jul-15 17:34:21

BP went up again but then went down, protein not in 2 more samples so they've said it's fine. I had a growth scan and they've said I have excess fluid and a huge baby, so have to have GTT and more scans. I'm very nervous and worried sad been told it means I have a higher chance of premature labour

happysunr1se Fri 10-Jul-15 16:41:04

I had preeclampsia last year which was caught at 28 week routine appointment. I was in hospital and under treatment until cesarean at 30 weeks. So mine was fairly severe.

I had double plus protein in urine which only went down with medication. The presence of protein shows your kidneys are struggling.

Now you are on their radar they will be taking extra care with you. It's good your baby is hitting it's growth targets as pe is connected to placental problems. My baby was very small as a result of preeclampsia.

Incidentally you can buy urine dip strips to test for protein at home.

I had no symptoms of pe apart from face swelling which is tricky as when pregnant a lot of women swell up anyway.
I had a visual disturbance after delivery (which took the form of rainbows smudging out my sight) but that was the only other visible manifestation.

Ultimately there's nothing that can be done to stop preeclampsia apart from delivery, but it's something hospitals treat frequently and if you do develop it you will be taken care of.

If you end up having an early delivery it's scary and worrying but you and your baby will be taken care of.

Do you know what level your local hospital has for its neonatal department?

My experience had been etched onto my brain so ask me whatever you want!

crapfatbanana Fri 10-Jul-15 17:08:37

Always best to act swiftly. Now you're on the radar you will be monitored more. The thing with PE is sometimes there are no warning symptoms.

I had PE at 34 +6 weeks. Some swelling and headaches/aura at 32 weeks but no raised BP or proteinurea, however, at 34 weeks when I felt okay I had high BP and 3+ protein at my check up. Admitted to hospital and put on 200mg labetalol two or three times a day (can't remember which). Did a 24 hr urine collection and a blood test showed my platelet count was falling. After two days in hospital my BP went up to 160/110 and I got tunnel vision and epigastric pain. I was moved to delivery suite for induction. My twins were born at 35+2. Apart from needing NGTs for feeding they were fine although one twin was very tiny. I felt ill and my BP yoyoed for another 7-10 days. Went home on day 14. I'd been like a balloon with oedema - I seemed so skinny when it went away.

Take care, OP. Try not to panic, but do ring your MW if you are unwell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now