Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just sooooo tired and emotional and can't sleep!!! OK to bunk off work? 30 weeks pregnant...

(12 Posts)
ovumahead Wed 08-Jul-15 09:42:36

Feel like I'm on the verge of tears all the time the last few days. Can't sleep properly - am getting between 3- 6 hours of very broken sleep a night. I'm just shattered. Have been trying to continue to work full time but have been struggling so much. I work in a very busy place with a demanding job and a generally insensitive team where I'm professionally isolated. The air conditioning broke recently too, so its been boiling there. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes recently and often feel light headed and weird with frequent lowish blood sugar readings (3.7 or thereabouts). Yesterday I had loads of really long and uncomfortable braxton hicks contractions at work which made it hard to walk around. Last night I managed to get 2 whole hours of sleep. I feel totally shit! I don't even know why I'm writing this. Just having a massive moan! Feel terrible for taking the day off work but I can't work like this. There's more. I could go on. But I'm being a bit of a drama queen! Going to spend the daymoping around and napping if I can. Can't think what else to do. Problem solving ability has disappeared!

Skiptonlass Wed 08-Jul-15 10:17:26

I think you need to talk to someone about your blood sugar control... I'd go back to the doc and tell them you're struggling. They may be able to sign you off for a few days so you can get some rest and better sugar control. Don't underestimate how bad gd can make you feel.
It is better to have one chunk of a few days off with a docs note than several ad hoc days self certifying (it shouldn't be, but there you go.)

I sympathise - this heat is brutal when you're pregnant. Looking back there were a couple of periods I wish I'd accepted my midwife's offer of a sign off!

ovumahead Wed 08-Jul-15 10:20:52

Thanks. I'll book a gp appointment when I can actually stop bloody crying!!!

scarednoob Wed 08-Jul-15 10:25:17

oh no, I feel your pain. I am definitely finding that tiny things make me really tearful, and I'm not normally someone who cries at anything at all! I read a story about a little budgie whose owner's housemates shout at him for chirping last night, and I sobbed for about an hour. it's mad but at least it's not just you...

I think you do need to talk to someone if things are getting on top of you a bit, just to make sure that it's only generally pregnancy and feeling overwhelmed rather than something medical. agree with having a quick chat with your mw/gp and maybe taking even 2 days off just to relax. you'll feel like a new woman.

lexyloub Wed 08-Jul-15 10:49:34

Ring work tell them you're not coming in for the rest of the week. Have a good soak in the bath and get back in bed get Netflix on and don't move for the rest of the day. Arrange to see your gp re your sugar levels etc. Have a few days rest you'll feel so much better for it

ovumahead Wed 08-Jul-15 11:10:17

Thank you, kind and sensible people!! Will do just that - bath and Netflix. World won't stop spinning, will it?!

lexyloub Wed 08-Jul-15 11:56:05

Nope it definitely won't.

coneywonder Wed 08-Jul-15 12:10:22

Get back to bed. If you can't bunk off now you never can haha

heartburncity Wed 08-Jul-15 12:11:07

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss - you are totally ok to take a day or two to your self and leave the world to it. You need rest and TLC. look after yourself

Nottalotta Wed 08-Jul-15 12:11:08

I know exactly how you feel. I have had a series of issues to deal with over the last 6 months, and in may a truly horrendous traumatic experience. Coupled with a stressful full time job and a total tool of a manager i came close to having a real breakdown. I kept thinking 'only 8 more weeks.....' but got to the stage where i just couldn't function. DH working all hours, getting up at 4am so my sleep was limited too.

Eventually took a day off, went to drs and bawled at him. He signed me off for two weeks, then another 10 days which took me right up to the day before the maternity trigger. It did me a world of good and means now i am back at work i have amended (less stressful) duties as they are Shitting themselves at a heavily pregnant employee being signed off with stress.

I felt really guilty to start but its not just me now, its the baby too. I still can't wait to finish (week on Friday!) but it seems more doable. Be kind to yourself.

ovumahead Wed 08-Jul-15 14:51:45

Thank you!! Yes the thing that makes me feel much less guilty is the little sproggle growing in my belly!! It's not just about me. Finish for mat leave at the end of the month but even though it's so close it still feels so far away! How does any one work up to their due date?!

I am 4 episodes in to broadchurch which is helping a lot even though it is a tad depressing...

Nottalotta I'm sorry you have had such a crap time. It sounds like you have a fab gp though - I hope everything is more settled now.

Hugs all round!!!

ovumahead Wed 08-Jul-15 14:54:22

And scared your emotional budgie story did make me smile... Thank you! Tearfulness is such a nightmare. I'm NOT a terful person generally so I find this a real struggle. Will often hold it in until I can't any longer and then I can't bloody stop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now