Talk

Advanced search

NCT course prices

(20 Posts)
Donnakim Wed 08-Jul-15 08:41:58

After chatting with my friend I decided to look into my local NCT course as DC1 will be due in December. I've found one running in my town, so walking distance for home which is great and told her about it.

She was shocked when I said how much the course costs though. She says that she didn't pay a penny for her course with DC1, but did live in a different county at that time.

Is it normal for these courses to be free? I'm only looking at the bog-standard antenatal classes

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 08-Jul-15 08:45:20

The NHS ones are free, you pay for NCT. I'm sticking with the NHS ones.

pinkie87 Wed 08-Jul-15 08:47:24

NCT you always pay for, although in London they are more expensive.

Chaby Wed 08-Jul-15 08:51:39

I did both the NCT and the free NHS ones. The NCT were pricey but worth it for the small group size, chance to ask questions etc plus the amazing friends I made - they really did keep me sane when I was on Mat leave. If you can afford it I would definitely do NCT.

Brummiegirl15 Wed 08-Jul-15 09:01:30

I'm doing NCT ones as I really want to meet people - I live in Worcestershire so mine is the lowest band.

London is the most expensive tier (by a lot!!) then it's counties in the South East followed by the rest of the country

sianihedgehog Wed 08-Jul-15 09:38:52

In our area (Brighton) they also offer lottery funded courses called "Parentskool". There are free places on a first come first served basis on those, maybe she had something similar?

Lunastarfish Wed 08-Jul-15 09:44:35

I was quoted £325 for NCT (including the non-compulsory membership fee) which was to be held at the teachers house (so no hall hire fee to be taken into account with the price - therefore I think the fee is ridiculous). I'm in Surrey. I didn't go. I did the Daisy Foundation instead.

My SIL did NCT in North London for a very very reduced price as she was on benefits so it might be with checking if you can receive a discount (I think there are reductions for low earners). She loved it.

TreeSparrow Wed 08-Jul-15 09:53:20

London NCT, Signature course. £391 incl membership. Count yourself lucky!

stacysmom Wed 08-Jul-15 10:00:30

I'm in the South East and was shocked at how much the course was. I did the NHS ones and bought the travel system with the money instead.

Brummiegirl15 Wed 08-Jul-15 10:26:55

Mine is £165! 16.5 hours at £10 an hour as I'm the lowest band.

Lunastarfish Wed 08-Jul-15 10:33:51

TreeSparrow - that's mad!!! I moved to Surrey from s w London when I learned I was pregnant.

CalypsoLilt Wed 08-Jul-15 11:02:15

I'm North Hants and the courses are about £250. I'm new to the area and I'm using it to make friends (also my OH is freaking out so I think it would be good for him as he is totally clueless).

Appleblossom82 Wed 08-Jul-15 11:17:20

Wow. Im in the south west and my nct course is £120 and that is the most expensive band for my area!!

I had no idea it was so expensive elsewhere.

Also doing the free nhs class.

Baguettes Wed 08-Jul-15 11:20:01

I only did NCT. I'm in Surrey and it was pricey but the best thing I did in terms of the support network leading up to and after birth.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 08-Jul-15 11:31:22

There are discounts for those on benefits but if you're an average earner its quite expensive, so for that reason I didn't do them as I knew I'd be on SMP as well. As it turns out I had DS early so wouldn't have completed the course anyway, and a friend on the course hated it - bad luck with the tutor's attitude (I think most are nice, but you get the odd bad one like with anything) I hear good things about it though in general so if you can afford it perhaps go for it?

If you don't do NCT there might be NHS courses in your area and also courses at the Sure Start children's centre. These are both free in my area, and the sure start one goes on over many weeks so you can make friends similar to nct. I know these don't exist in every area though so you'd need to check.

lemon101 Wed 08-Jul-15 11:31:32

I feel your pain - its sooooo expensive, but everyone tells me they are worth it (and this is my first baby and my current level of knowledge stops at which end to feed and which end to clean - so I need all the information I can get!) Ours is £220 with membership shock

LittleMiss77 Wed 08-Jul-15 11:40:12

Im in the West Mids and NCT for me was £250 including the £40 membership fee.

Unfortunately my local NHS trust doesnt offer antenatal classes so i had no choice but to pay for a class.

We decided to go with the Daisy Foundation in the end and as we had left it quite late (the next available class clashed with my EDD) we had a 121 session - lasted about 2.5 hrs at home which covered the basics. I could interrupt with questions, it was very relaxed and i felt very informed at the end of the session.

MrsAnxiety1 Wed 08-Jul-15 11:44:56

I just did an NCT Signature course in the North and it 'only' cost £140 - it's not cheap but it was a small, friendly group and I think it was worth it. I certainly enjoyed it.

Appleblossom82 Wed 08-Jul-15 11:56:15

Its not just based income i think. We have an average income and not in receipt of any benefits but it was only £120. We do live in an economically deprived area though so that may be why its cheaper here.

Donnakim Wed 08-Jul-15 13:49:06

Well at least I know there is a difference between the NHS and NCT courses now, I'd assumed (naively) that they were the same thing! I think I'll have a chat with DH and see if he wants to do the NCT ones, they'll be a lot easier for us to get to, and I don't mind paying if they are worth it. I'm in the South West so glad I will most likely be looking at the lower prices than the poor London lasses have paid.

Thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now