Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

sweep tomorrow dreading it

(31 Posts)
Cloe2014 Tue 07-Jul-15 18:26:09

I'll be 41 wks tomorrow first baby I'm booked in for a sweep tomorrow I'm so nervous about it. I don't think it's so much the procedure I'm nervous about but the result. I'm not very hopeful of it actually working, and i don't know anyone who has had to have one. If it dosent work I'll be booked in for induction with the new catheter balloon :-/

Quickchangeup Tue 07-Jul-15 18:30:31

I had one with my first that didn't work and ended in an induction. When I had one with my DD I went straight out for a long walk and that did the trick. I think being immediately active helped in getting things moving. Maybe try that?

berrypicking Tue 07-Jul-15 18:54:33

I had one with my first ds, went into labour two hours later. just had one today with my second at 12 and I am in labour now! They can work smile

Cloe2014 Tue 07-Jul-15 20:01:06

Oh good for u x good luck x does ur midwife have a idea afterwards if she thinks its going to work or not?

coneywonder Tue 07-Jul-15 20:40:47

I'm having one tomorrow too op! Also nervous! I'm nervous about it hurting though. I'm only due tomorrow too! Seems they offer it at different points everywhere

Cloe2014 Tue 07-Jul-15 20:56:34

They Must do because my midwife told me they have to wait a week because the cervix will be softer. I'm not worried about the pain I'm just expecting to be disappointed. So Fed up

coneywonder Tue 07-Jul-15 21:02:01

I said the same thing to my friend before she told me to start thinking positivly! Let's both do that haha. I'm also fed up sad

I had one at midday and gave birth at 5 the following morning. and it didn't hurt. Good luck! smile

coneywonder Tue 07-Jul-15 21:37:39

That's good littlegrey how many weeks were you?

Cloe2014 Tue 07-Jul-15 22:13:55

I keep telling myself to stop being selfish its not as if the baby is never going to come, I just really don't want to be induced cos there gonna do that new catheter balloon and all I've heard is bad things. I have heard more it works than it dosent work stories with the sweep so fingers crossed for both of us coneywonder

junemami Tue 07-Jul-15 22:23:24

Personally haven't heard of the catheter balloon for induction but if you do end up going for induction then ask about other options and all risks/benefits before going ahead so you're fully informed. I had a sweep at term which was uncomfortable but bearable (good chance to put hypnobirthing techniques into practice). Had tightenings for about 24 h then settled down. DTD the next night, went into labour following day. All the best.

Cloe2014 Tue 07-Jul-15 22:25:48

It's a new way, they insert cathetar balloob which gently puts pressure on ur cervix. What does DTD mean?

coneywonder Tue 07-Jul-15 22:38:43

It means have sex. Do the deed. I would be asking what the other options are too cloe is there a medical reason why they want to induce you? Yea fingers crossed for both of us we will be fine and we can do it ☺

Cloe2014 Tue 07-Jul-15 22:44:10

I've done the deed and nothing! I've litraly tried everything. They just said to me that if sweep dosent work the next thing to look into would be induction and this cathetar way is supposed to be the safest and best way as pessary and the other ways bring on Labour to quickly and falsely x what time r u having yours coneywonder

junemami Tue 07-Jul-15 22:46:05

No harm in trying again after the sweep! Just make sure you're happy with the plan, hopefully you won't need to worry about it!

Topsy34 Tue 07-Jul-15 23:25:11

Interestingly the catheter induction has been around a while, but rarely used, its coming back now as its cheaper for the nhs and better for the mother as its not a drug based induction.

In one study, it indicated that induction with a foley catheter induction, compared with prostaglandin induction meant the fetal heart rate remained mucn steadier a it diesnt over stimulate the uterus, and the rate of c setion was lower in Foley catheter induction v medicated

junemami Tue 07-Jul-15 23:35:36

Thanks topsy

coneywonder Wed 08-Jul-15 07:57:05

That's good to know topsy

cloe mine is at 10:20 when's yours? I know that induction is the next step for the nhs but you don't have to do anything you dont want to. Providing everything is okay with the baby and the placenta you can opt for expectant management where they will monitor you until you go into labour naturally. Worth mentioning to your midwife, I will be doing

ovumahead Wed 08-Jul-15 10:03:53

If no medical reason to induce just request extra monitoring for another week or two. Other countries consider 42 and 43 weeks full term. Don't feel pressured into a medically induced birth! Baby very likely to arrive soon naturally. Keep walking and have lots of sex!!

coneywonder Wed 08-Jul-15 10:29:21

I'm just waiting to see my midwife now and have decided that im not going to let her do a sweep. I'm only due today so going to give baby a bit of time before people start routing up there!

Cloe2014 Wed 08-Jul-15 12:38:09

Had sweep cervix not flavorable, don't think she wanted to tell me much cos I just burst out crying. I'm booked in for another on Friday but that's only because I asked for one. The induction ward are ringing me on Saturday to arrange to go in on Monday sad so disheartened

coneywonder Wed 08-Jul-15 12:39:35

Oh cloe I feel for you. Your cervix can change in a matter of hours from why I've heard so don't get too down on yourself. I know how you feel

Cloe2014 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:27:32

Oh I didn't know that I just presumed that its not gonna. I really Did think in back of my mind that I may have been dilated slightly cos of the pains I've been having but now I'm just thinking I'm just a wimp!

ovumahead Wed 08-Jul-15 14:46:51

You WILL eventually go into labour , that's a fact!! Normal to feel inpatient. Try to relax as this will help labour to start naturally.

Cloe2014 Wed 08-Jul-15 17:06:33

I wish my midwife would have told me more. But I was that upset afterwards all the questions went out my head. I no she did the sweep n rang induction ward straight away. She wasn't gonna book me in for another its only cos I asked. That's y I just presumed my cervix isn't gonna change

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now