Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pelvic Floor- am I doing it right!?

(8 Posts)
Skeppers Tue 07-Jul-15 16:49:52

I've started doing my pelvic floor exercises like a good girl even though I should probably have started months ago and not left it til 35 weeks and I've downloaded an app and everything which helps me to time them...but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I'm basically clenching all the same muscles I'd use during sex to get a better 'grip' (ahem), but I read somewhere that you're supposed clench like you're holding in a wee and a fart at the same time. I've got no clue, having never been in that particular situation.

Is a general good 'clench' of the entire region enough to do the job?

I'm determined to do it...bless him, but my DH isn't exactly hugely endowed in the first place (although I have no complaints); I don't want post-childbirth sex to be like throwing a hotdog into an aircraft hangar...

scarednoob Tue 07-Jul-15 16:55:25

if you go to the toilet for a wee and stop midstream - that's how you do it!

make sure you're not clenching your stomach/thigh muscles by mistake partway through a session. one thing I learned on my infrequent visits to the gym is that the body will cheat however it can if you don't keep on top of the bugger...

Molotov Tue 07-Jul-15 16:56:11

Sounds like you are doing the fanjo exercises right. For the other bits, imagine that you desparately need to poo but there is no toilet ... the way that you would pull 'up' your back passage is how to exercise that bit of your pelvic floor.

Eventually you will have the control to pull both up simultaneously.

HTH! smile

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 07-Jul-15 16:57:21

Visualise sucking a pea into your urethra, a plum into your vagina and a cherry into your rectum.

Hold for a count of 10 (really work to lift your pelvic basket, and keep breathing)
Then tighten....release, tighten...release, tighten...release, tighten...release.
Repeat x 4

Don't do too many in a day as you'll exhaust your pelvic floor and wee yourself.

Skeppers Tue 07-Jul-15 17:02:34

ItsAllGoingToBeFine

Christ, if I struggled with the concept of holding in a wee and a fart at the same time, I'm definitely going to find mentally inserting half a fruit bowl into my vag a challenge! wink

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 07-Jul-15 17:03:07

grin

KatyN Tue 07-Jul-15 17:08:54

I wasn't sure I was doing them right, until I tried to do them again on the delivery table! I've also found that you can 'tidy' up a lot afterwards with some strict exercises so just keep doing what you are doing and you'll be grand.

scarednoob Tue 07-Jul-15 17:29:45

threads like this, and the ones about morning sickness, or weight gain, or aches and pains, or serious things like GD/pre-eclampsia, or swollen ankles, or not being able to sleep or poo or walk 5 minutes without needing a wee just make me think

MY GOD, MEN HAVE IT EASY!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now