Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any nurses/hca's?

(12 Posts)
Embolio Tue 07-Jul-15 12:08:29

When did you tell work you were pregnant? Very early days for me and I wouldn't normally say anything until after 12 week scan BUT I work in theatres and I think I probably need to tell them earlier so they can risk assess me for moving and handling and X-ray exposure, exposure to high risk cases etc. feel a bit unsure of what to do and just wondering how others had handled it?
This Is my third pregnancy but I was community based previously so it was different. Grateful for any advicesmile

SecretSpy Tue 07-Jul-15 12:14:41

I would tell just your line manager ASAP, they can only accommodate you when you have made them aware. Tell them if you want it keeping secret for now - here are lots of reasons why people's duties get swapped around and of course we are all responsible for health and safety <groan>

Embolio Tue 07-Jul-15 12:22:15

Haha, we are indeed! Yeah, I'm off for a week and a bit after tomorrow so I think I'll tell my manager when I come back, I'll be 6/7 weeks then all being well, so it'll feel a bit more real.

WaitingForEgg Tue 07-Jul-15 12:26:27

Tell them right away. It only needs to be your manager no one else, it's important you are risk assessed. Not just for manual handling but chemical exposure, X-ray etc
Congratulations smile

tinyme135 Tue 07-Jul-15 12:28:15

I work in a pharmacy and handle medication that you can't have while pregnant. I haven't told them yet (I'm 13+2) but I use gloves all the while and I use the excuse that you never know what can happen. I've all of a sudden got ocd in their eyes haha

WishUponAStar88 Tue 07-Jul-15 12:39:10

I looked up the pregnancy policy which lists everything you shouldn't do when pregnant at my workplace. I tried to avoid these things but where they wasn't possible I sometimes had to tell the senior person on shift. I 'officially' told management at about 8 weeks. Hopefully everything will be fine but if anything was to go wrong you'd presumably need to tell your manager anyway so you got time off so it makes sense to tell them early so they can support you. They should not be sharing your confidential information elsewhere within your team.

Embolio Tue 07-Jul-15 12:41:11

I will tell them soon, it's X-rays that bother me the most, despite lead jacket/monitoring badge etc probably being a bit irrational about it. My manager is off this week and I'm off next week so I'll do it when I'm back, only one shift to go before then.

Embolio Tue 07-Jul-15 12:44:33

I know they'll be good about keeping it quiet, I just felt a bit reluctant in case something goes wrong, although you are all right - it's probably better they know anyway in that case!

Embolio Tue 07-Jul-15 12:44:54

Thanks all flowers

dragonflyinthelillies Tue 07-Jul-15 12:55:05

I'm in theatres and I told my manager as soon as I knew. X rays are safe if you're wearing a gown properly (one of the radiographers at work was in the ir suite right until the end) but you do need to avoid infectious patients and the obvious lifting and this is much easier to do with manager on your side. (There are also some theories about the anaesthetic gases)

Also I really suffered with morning sickness and just couldn't scrub at times and she backed me up on those bad days.

Hopefully you won't be the same but i found it a hard environment to be pregnant in, and any kind of support is more than welcome!

Congrats by the way!

Embolio Tue 07-Jul-15 13:02:13

Yeah, I think it is going to be hard to scrub for some of our longer cases. I'd read a bit about anaesthetic gases but stopped as I didn't want to freak myself out. Hoping not to get bad nausea, didn't the last time . Fingers crossed!

Embolio Tue 07-Jul-15 13:03:01

And thanks! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now