Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sweep at 38 weeks? Requesting one - likely to work?

(6 Posts)
lilacpaintedview Tue 07-Jul-15 11:53:32

I am booked in for c-section at 39 weeks and getting v nervous about having one (mainly the recovery)... was thinking of asking about a sweep - likely to work this early? Any experiences

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Tue 07-Jul-15 11:59:19

It completely depends! I had one at 40 weeks last time and my cervix was completely closed and unfavourable. I've since moved and they don't offer them until 41 weeks and say it's unlikely to work before then. I've known others have them earlier though and have already been a cm or 2 dilated.
Can you rethink your decision on the CS and just wait and see, or do you need to deliver the baby before 39 weeks for health reasons (yours or babies)?

lilacpaintedview Tue 07-Jul-15 12:01:06

health reasons won't let me go past 39 weeks sad

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Tue 07-Jul-15 12:03:52

It's worth a chat with your midwife to see what they think regarding a sweep. I'm sure it won't hurt so may be worth a try. It's normal to get nervous towards the end, you'll be fine!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 07-Jul-15 12:20:44

It can't hurt to ask if that's what you'd like to try. Sometimes there are medical reasons why inductions arent advised, so double check it's OK with your condition
By the way, I know everyone is different but I found c section recovery to be OK actually (and mine was emergency, I'm told elective is easier recovery) just get out of bed when you can, even if it's for a shuffle up the ward, air the scar as much as possible, and bring pants / clothes that won't rub on scar. I was up and about the next day, although slowly of course!

Bustherb Tue 07-Jul-15 15:58:56

I had a sweep at 39 weeks and I was already 1cm. Had a show the next day but here I am at 40 weeks still waiting. I have had on/off contractions but nothing regular. I don't see why you couldn't ask if that's what you want xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now