Previous pph, very risk adverse consultant?(7 Posts)
For my second birth I had a pph of 1l. Induced but otherwise very normal birth. I don't think a reason was really found.
This time the consultant has not only said no to the mlu ( my first choice... About 10 metres down a corridor from clu) but managing third stage plus 4 hours on a synto drip!
I've had a normal birth and I'm fit and quite slim (bmi still 23 at 27 weeks). I can find nothing online beyond the injection, I'm quite down about it. I was hoping to have left 4-6 hours after birth and have a normal birth.
Has anyone else been told this, I've arranged to talk to the consultant midwife, but it seemed like it was just to reinforce their position tbh.
Anyone else with experience?
Any chance of you getting a second opinion/changing hospitals? I had a PPH of 2.5l after I had DS due to a retained placenta. I asked to speak to a consultant re. birth options as soon as I found out I was pregnant again. They told me that I am at no greater risk this time than anyone else, as each pregnancy/birth is different, so no reason to think it could happen again. Although my risk of having another restrained placenta increased it didn't necessarily mean I would bleed again. They were quite happy with me being on a low risk care pathway.
I then found out I am having twins and, although now automatically classed as high risk, they don't seem to think there is any extra risk from what happened to me before. (And there are now 2 placenta to deliver)
Good luck, hope you get the outcome you're looking for. X
You can still have a normal birth and you won't need continuous monitoring so you can be as active as you want, even on the labour ward. An IV, active management (the injection) and a Syntocinon drip afterwards are pretty standard for a previous PPH but at my hospital we would generally turn the drip off after a couple of hours if your uterus if well contracted and you aren't bleeding much. If you don't have another PPH you can absolutely be home within 6 hours.
But if you're unhappy you can always ask to speak to a supervisor of midwives. I think it is very unlikely they will allow you in the MLU but you can discuss and negotiate other aspects of your care.
Obviously I would have the drip again if needed, but it was bloody painful! I don't want to be tied down and trying to feed with stomach pain and one hand in semi-use.
I've actually just transferred at 20+ weeks, the previous hospital were open to mlu and seemed pretty unconcerned. They were only bothered about monitoring an amniotic band, previous prem and b strep... None of which the new guy even noted.
I just feel very stressed at the idea of clu, I'm nervous of hospitals. The new one have me on consultant care too, I preferred midwife led I was having before.
I had a pph first time round, second time I was on the mlu, had a normal delivery. Ended up on the drip as had a second pph anyway. I wasn't on continuous monitoring either.
They can't tell you what you "can" or "can't" have.
I lied & didn't tell them about my pph (750 ml, baby2 in another area). No regrets, I barely bled anything in birth of baby3. Had no idea the bleeding could be so minimal.
I CAN use the Mlu, I can even go back to midwife led care! The relief is huge.
She was the first person to agree that it was a hyper-stimulated uteruus and shock (4cm-birth 20 min, immense pain and continuous contraction). Totally expected, but very very pleased. Used strong wording like 'completely low risk' in my notes. Very confident and needed no persuading. Also met DD3 who is delayed and immediately cottoned on as to why I wanted a different birth.
Join the discussion
Please login first.