Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Carpal tunnel?

(16 Posts)
Nottalotta Tue 07-Jul-15 04:56:45

Has anyone got experience of pregnancy induced carpal tunnel syndrome?

I have always had clicky bones, especially in my hands/fingers, and knuckles that stiffen up and ache a bit sometimes.

But the last few weeks i have had numb hands to varying degrees, left hand worse with a numb middle and ring finger for at least a fortnight, and some times whole hand. This morning my inner wrist and elbow ache a bit and whole hand is numb. Right hand partially numb.

Does it resolve after pregnancy? Anything i can do to help it?

Hippymama1 Tue 07-Jul-15 05:10:42

Me! It's rubbish. Discuss with your GP and midwife and take off your rings!

On the bright side, I had my baby on Sunday and my hands are already so much better. grin

Nottalotta Tue 07-Jul-15 05:20:14

Thanks Hippy rings have been off for a few weeks now! Glad to hear its improved so quickly. Will see mw tomorrow and mention to her then.

Congratulations on baby!!

differentnameforthis Tue 07-Jul-15 06:06:04

No, sorry...it hasn't completely gone. I had it quite severely, couldn't hold things to cut them (was quite funny when an onion shot out of my hand towards dh), lucky that I drove an auto so could literally hit the car into drive/rev (had to keep hands in certain position on steering wheel (probably shouldn't have driven so much, tbh), had to wear a pressure bandage in bed & keep hands as straight as possible, couldn't hold baby for a while the day she was born (section, but arms/hands went completely numb due to positing). Could immerse my hands in boiling water & not feel it on occasion (cold made it worse)

DD is now 7 & I still get symptoms. Mainly when I wake, my hands are pretty numb, or hold my phone/book in bed, I have to constantly shift position & hands due to numbness.

I have a weakness in my little finger on one hand.

The cold weather affects me more too & I have to wear (fingerless) gloves at home sometimes. Repetitive actions cause my wrists to ache.

Dh constantly complains about the temp of water when I wash up, but I barely feel it. He quite correctly said that it would still burn me even though I can't feel it.

Summer, most symptoms lessen.

You can get splints, I didn't do that as the wait list for physio was too long. I managed on pressure bandages & gloves. And keeping my arms as straight as possible.

JJXM Tue 07-Jul-15 09:31:15

I had some symptoms during pregnancy but mine really kicked in after DS was born. Most people's carpal tunnel disappears a few weeks after giving birth.

Treatment options involve a splint that you can get at a pharmacy. If you have a confirmed diagnosis then a physiotherapist can give you a steroid shot into the wrist or some GPs can do this when your not pregnant. The steroid didn't work for me and I had to have surgery although this should be a last option.

differentname I'd recommend getting it looked at because long term carpal tunnel can lead to permanent nerve damage. My MIL left hers for 20 years and when she had the operation it wasn't very successful because she didn't treat it quickly enough. If you can't feel heat and have numbness in a finger then you I'd recommend you go to your GP.

scarednoob Tue 07-Jul-15 09:37:48

it sucks. I feel like I'm wearing gloves of pain when I wake up in the morning sometimes!

my chiropractor friend said to go in and see her for proper forearm massages, as that will help. I am trying, but it's so hard to get out of work on top of all the hospital/mw/gp appointments! anyway, might be worth trying that if you have a chiro near you.

differentnameforthis Tue 07-Jul-15 09:43:34

JJXM Thanks, you are probably right!

PolShelby Tue 07-Jul-15 10:36:08

I had this in the third trimester. I used to wake to use the toilet in the night and not be able to use the door handle because my hands were so numb! Oddly, running them under the cold tap used to help a bit. It was very painful though so you all have my sympathy.

Mine disappeared about 3 weeks after having DD.

Bustherb Tue 07-Jul-15 11:01:30

YES it's sooooooo very painful!!!!! hmm I wake up every morning and my fingers are out of joint, can't use my middle finger for anything. Luckily mine seems to ease up by lunch time so at least I get a bit of relief! Xx

scarednoob Tue 07-Jul-15 11:28:30

I wonder if we are sleeping on them in a funny position that doesn't help - eg I sometimes wake up to find myself sleeping on my side with my arms folded, so leaning on both wrists, or with my hand underneath my face, again leaning on thumb etc. not normally a problem, but when everything is all soft from being pg, maybe it doesn't help.

villainousbroodmare Tue 07-Jul-15 11:36:41

Pins and needles in my right hand for the last month (I'm due now) with some swelling and decreased sensation in the index, middle and ring fingers. Now starting in my left. I bought a splint which didn't help. Not painful but I'm glad I'm finished work as it was starting to be quite a nuisance in various aspects of my job that require fingertip sensitivity and grip.

ACatCalledFang Tue 07-Jul-15 21:13:15

Nottalotta, I had similar symptoms to you in that the numbness and tingling were in my middle and ring fingers. I finally saw my GP last week at 33 weeks and she said it was the ulnar nerve that was under pressure rather than it being typical carpal tunnel syndrome. So you should definitely see a doctor. Mine seems to be exacerbated by the heat, and has been a bit better over the last few days.

What I would recommend is that you raise it with your midwife asap, preferably before you get to the point where you can't sleep more than 60-90 minutes in one go due to the pain and discomfort (me, last week).

I had symptoms from 18 weeks, raised it at 25 weeks (told it was carpal tunnel syndrome, nothing could be done), then raised it again at 32 weeks and was told that I'd never get physio now before the birth as the waiting list was too long sad. So raise it asap and see your GP! And try to keep your arm as straight as possible when you're in bed (use an extra pillow) - I find that can help a bit.

FlossyCat Tue 07-Jul-15 21:25:44

I had this with my first pregnancy, it resolved shortly afterwards and I haven't had it during this pregnancy. Worth discussing with your gp and midwife.

applecore0317 Tue 07-Jul-15 23:15:14

I used to have to get my DH to do my bra up for me cause it hurt my wrists and my fingers were numb. Am five weeks post birth and things started feeling normal again in the last two weeks.

Effic Tue 07-Jul-15 23:20:18

I had this while pregnant. Went to a mctimmony (sp?) chiropractor - he reduced the symptoms dramatically while I was pregnant and, after a couple of sessions after birth, it went.

Flowerfae Tue 07-Jul-15 23:28:41

Hi I get it on and off (not pregnant gatecrashing smile )... I got a splint from the pharmacy (they measured me there) they're a bit uncomfy but it does help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now