Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ouch coccyx pain - fell down stairs 32 weeks

(11 Posts)
parapluiepliant Mon 06-Jul-15 23:52:29

Ouch. I can't take anything for this bloody injury. Baby is fine which is the main thing but my tail bone constantly aches and is covered in bruising.

My DP left a wedge shoe on the stairs (wooden) & I fell over it and bounced down stairs landing on my coccyx.
Any Advice? sad

Flisspaps Tue 07-Jul-15 06:33:19

Can you not take paracetamol?

DXBMermaid Tue 07-Jul-15 06:35:36

Can you go and see a Chiropractor or Osteopath?

Good luck with the pain and try and take it easy!!

parapluiepliant Tue 07-Jul-15 08:53:51

Well the doctor said normally people would have a codeine based painkiller for this type of pain but obvs he didn't perscribe (& I wouldn't take it).

Paracetamol - I've been taking infrequently but he said there's new research to suggest pregnant women may not be advised to take it due to it affecting baby boys testosterone levels. Anyone heard of this?

I've been signed off work for a couple of weeks as everything is painful ie sitting down to drive/walking etc. Yet it seizes up if I don't walk (& round we go!)

I just hope this resolves itself by the time I go into labour. I have 8 weeks till due date and know coxyxx is a slow healer hmm

parapluiepliant Tue 07-Jul-15 08:56:05

This is baby no 3 and I seem to be more prone to accidents this time round. Maybe it's being busy with a 6 & 8 yo/work/life and not having time to think about spatial awareness?

Flisspaps Tue 07-Jul-15 18:54:02

Never heard that re testosterone - seems to be the 'go to' drug for early labour so I'd ask your midwife rather than the GP.

MrsAnxiety1 Tue 07-Jul-15 19:27:56

It does get better... In about 8 weeks :-/ I did this earlier in pregnancy and found sitting down very painful for a while, but it does get progressively better. Sitting on a haemorrhoid cushion does help, as does not sitting down for very long...

Re: paracetamol, yes used long term in pregnancy it has been implicated in lowered testosterone levels for male babies. I wouldn't risk it (and didn't when I did mine!) but that's just me. Taking it infrequently is supposed to be fine though smile

Let your MW know you've done it as the coccyx can get further hurt during labour and they might be able to help, but I'd hope by term it'd be healed. HTH smile

RockerMummy184 Tue 07-Jul-15 19:50:29

No advice on that specific injury, but I have been prescribed paracetamol and coedine for chronic migraines and SPD by my consultant. I'm having twin boys and nothing was ever mentioned to me about testosterone levels.
I was also given paracetamol and codeine whilst in labour with DS.
Maybe you should speak to someone else - another gp at your surgwry maybe? - as there's no sense in unnecessarily suffering if you can take pain relief.
Hope you get something sorted soon. X

MrsAnxiety1 Tue 07-Jul-15 19:55:57

Info on paracetamol usage: http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/05May/Pages/Is-paracetamol-use-in-pregnancy-harmful-for-male-babies.aspx

"As with all medicines, pregnant women should only take them if absolutely necessary, in the lowest effective dose and for the shortest period of time. If you have a painful condition that persists for more than one to two days, ask your midwife or the doctor in charge of your care for advice."

General advice, as usual, but it is all dose and length of time dependent...

nutelladipper Tue 07-Jul-15 22:06:40

I can sympathise having damaged my coccyx three years ago during my daughters birth. It's not flared up again - I'm now 33 weeks pregnant. I've not been able to do anything to relieve the pain - I get some relief from a coccyx cushion I got off Amazon.

MissMartin10 Wed 08-Jul-15 10:12:04

oh i feel your pain!! i fractured my coccyx in a a sledging accident, there's not really anything you can do, mine hurt for ages.. maybe it was how badly id fractured it but it hurt for well over a year.. then when it comes to exercise like sit ups.. crunches it still hurts now sad .. just have a sit on a nice comfy couch as oftern as possible and maybe have a few paracetamol.. hope you feel better soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now