Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

+3 leukocytes

(7 Posts)
LorryHen Mon 06-Jul-15 22:58:43

Does anyone know what this could mean and is it dangerous?

At 10, 12, 16 weeks I had +2 but at 24 weeks i have +3 in my urine.

I'm worried about an infection and scared the baby will catch it. sad

Gillian1980 Mon 06-Jul-15 23:02:59

I had +3 this week and was told I had a urine infection and given antibiotics. I don't know what other factors led to the diagnosis though.

SaulGood Mon 06-Jul-15 23:05:45

It can indicate infection (any other abnormalities detected? Blood? Protein?). What did your midwife say? Do you feel well? Any UTI symptoms?

It can be nothing or contaminated sample.

LorryHen Mon 06-Jul-15 23:08:24

No blood or protein. I had a uti about 3 weeks ago and took a course of antibiotics. I feel fine and don't feel like I have an infection. I've read that the antibiotics can cause thrush but I'm not sure if that would cause the leukocytes.

pinkie87 Tue 07-Jul-15 08:38:15

I had +2 leucocytes at my last antenatal appointment. I was dehydrated though. They suspected infection but I had no symptoms. Dropped a sample to my doctor the next day (after upping my fluids) and it was fine so they didn't send it off. Drink plenty! Make sure when you give a sample, it's mid-stream, as the very first bit that passes may be contaminated with discharge etc.

Anotheroneofme Tue 07-Jul-15 09:09:53

Leucocytes can be there because of an increase in vaginal discharge so not necessarily infection smile

Skiptonlass Tue 07-Jul-15 09:29:07

Could be infection or could be contamination. Google how to do a "clean catch urine sample" and follow the instructions.

The dipsticks just alert the docs to the presence of something. Of they think you've got an infection they'll take another sample and send it off to the lab for culture. If something specific grows, you've got a uti - easily treated with antibiotics and if they get 'general growth' it's probably just contamination.

Drink plenty of water and see your doc if you have any uti symptoms

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now