Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Induction advice ASAP

(16 Posts)
Mamamia321 Mon 06-Jul-15 13:57:56

IN hospital have had reduced movement. I am 39 weeks. They are saying regardless of reduced movement they advice induction as I am 40. Dr said I should have been told this. Want to go home they say against medical advice. That placenta may not b working well enough. I have asked can they start with sweep not Pesary. How long does this take? And heard more painful than normal! What should I do??

Liveinthepresent Mon 06-Jul-15 14:12:27

Are they saying everything is ok with your baby right now based on some monitoring ? If so I think you can ask for a bit more time to consider the decision.
I have refused induction twice - once for being over 40, but of course if there was any actual concern about the baby I would have gone for it no question.
I have some links but can't access as am in a car right now.
You can look at www.theunnecesarean.com
Or biomedcentral.com for risk factors over 40
And www.rcog.org.uk try paper 34
I can send links later when home if you are still deciding.
At 39 weeks I guess your body may not be ready so it's less likely to work with just a sweep but I have no experience of course.
Good luck whatever you decide as soon as you have your baby the rest won't matter.

RedKites Mon 06-Jul-15 14:13:23

Could you speak to your usual mw?

lexyloub Mon 06-Jul-15 14:17:07

Stick with it I was Induced at 39 weeks for reduced movement. I had a sweep the day before which did result in a show but no contractions. I won't lie a sweep does hurt more if your cervix isn't quite ready yet. Having the pessary put in was a lot less painful than the sweep. Unfortunately for me the 1st pessary did nothing so needed another 6 hrs later. This started contractions straight away every 5 mins that lasted around 20 secs the intensity then grew and in the end went really fast. I went from 3cm to delivery in just over an hour. Not all inductions are bad experiences given the choice id choose it again. Once they start induction you won't be going home without your baby id get plenty magazines and a good book incase it doesn't work straight away. Good luck you'll be fine

Mamamia321 Mon 06-Jul-15 14:59:30

Oh thanks guys. My iPad is jus abou to run out of juice. Waiting for dh to bring in bag with charger. Quite anxious feel very unprepared and uninformed. They are quoting risks but no proof I am personally at risk or baby. Feel I better do it just in case but wish to god I had known.

Liveinthepresent Mon 06-Jul-15 22:14:57

Hope all is ok -sounds like your decision is made so you may well be underway.
As Pp said induction can be absolutely fine. Good luck - a baby how exciting ! smile

Mamamia321 Tue 07-Jul-15 01:55:14

Ok so I am on second Pesary. First made zippo difference still 1 to 2 dilated but apparently shorter cervix. my dh at home with kids said please not give birth till after school run. Wtf? Said get ur mum to do it . He is seriously squeamish about birth despite managing previous two. M mum said she will be too out of it in middle of night. Leaves my male BFF.honestly who's hand a, I goin to hold?! Mumsnetters?

Flisspaps Tue 07-Jul-15 05:37:19

How are you this morning Mama?

Mamamia321 Tue 07-Jul-15 06:58:46

Morning fliss. I have not dilated so second Pesary.feeling bit breathless have had low bp and also left iron tablets a home. At one mw did quite a painful sweep. Am delighted had some sleep and ay be she will wait till after school run and then dh has no excuse.

Flisspaps Tue 07-Jul-15 07:00:59

Glad you've had some sleep smile Hope things move along at a reasonable speed grin

lexyloub Tue 07-Jul-15 08:48:29

Hope things speed up for you today

Mamamia321 Tue 07-Jul-15 21:57:29

Wow. Well after two pessaries was still on,y 3 to 4 cm dilated plus drip at 3 30. Then her heart rate dropped and suddenly it was an emergency c section. Very scary and dh was on school run but mum there. Baby delivered at 4 30 6 lbs 13 girl. Thanks for support x

hotlikeme Tue 07-Jul-15 22:05:05

Congratulations on the safe delivery of your daughter. Any names yet?

Flisspaps Wed 08-Jul-15 07:43:27

Congratulations on the birth of your DD smile

Liveinthepresent Wed 08-Jul-15 13:36:56

Congratulations OP. Sorry it was scary for a bit - hope the newborn snuggles are more than compensating.

Mamamia321 Mon 13-Jul-15 23:23:25

Abigail! We have been in hospital with jaundice ao have to bottle and breast till she is getting enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now