Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Leaking colostrum at 23 weeks!

(5 Posts)
Focusfocus Mon 06-Jul-15 10:51:51

Hi wise ones

Title says it really. The gentlest of boob pressure makes little beads of colostrum form all over my nipples, and then roll off. Should I be storing in a syringe or something and freezing, as some health advise sites say? Or should I wait till I am over 36 weeks? It's my first baby - actually my first pregnancy in the first place - so no experience of this. My mother used to profusely leak milk and needed sanitary pad like things inside her top to contain. Not sure if it's hereditary. Some people seem to store in sterile syringes if they have high risk babies etc, which im am not, so totally clueless! Seems a shame to waste it!

Junosmum Mon 06-Jul-15 11:04:56

I've leaked colostrum since I was 20. And I wasn't pregnant. Dr tested it and told me that's what it was. It's stopped in the last year or so and before that was on and off. I think you'll keep making it until your extracting enough (through baby) to justify the 'turning off' hormone and make straight milk.

L0gLady Mon 06-Jul-15 11:14:43

As someone who failed to establish BF due to no colostrum, I'd definitely say store it, and also stimulate it to keep it up ���� La Leche League should be able to give tips.

sianihedgehog Mon 06-Jul-15 11:14:56

I've been leaking it since 20 weeks, too. No need to do anything about it, you don't need to express and store it or anything. Just maybe start carrying a couple of breast pads in case it gets heavy.

Boco2 Wed 08-Jul-15 17:14:10

Hey, I've had this since 20 weeks - mostly at night. It's only a small amount though have just bought some washable breast pads to avoid any embarrassing situations at work. From what I've read it's pretty normal. I don't think there is any need to collect/keep it - I think your body will likely produce enough when your baby arrives. I've just taken it as a good sign that my body is gearing up for the big day. Best wishes for your pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now