Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can't wear a bra

(15 Posts)
rebbles Sun 05-Jul-15 21:17:03

I am 22 weeks and no matter what bra I try on or buy I can't deal with it. It feels like I am being suffocated.

I haven't gone up a cup size and I was a 34B before pregnancy. I am now wearing a 40B and even this feels too tight. Today I bought a stretchy, elasticated non-underwired bra from M&S that says it is just size 'medium' and goes up to 44 but it still feels too tight.

I don't know what to do as I could go without as they aren't that big but I don't want my nipples showing.

Any suggestions?

CelticPromise Sun 05-Jul-15 21:20:30

What dress size are you? Cup sizes are relative to the band. It's rare to go up more than one or two band sizes but it's common to go up a lot in the cup. Where do you get measured?

Lonz Sun 05-Jul-15 21:20:46

Have you been measured? Might be your chest size, apparently it gets bigger during pregnancy. I got measured when I was pregnant because I had to, nothing fit properly, and got nursing/maternity bras that are more comfy.

rebbles Sun 05-Jul-15 21:25:54

I haven't been measured as I feel too embarrassed. I tried on a bra with a C cup and it was huge for me. hmm

Thisismyfirsttime Sun 05-Jul-15 21:31:14

It's probably not advised at all but I turned to the supermarket sports/ comfort bras. Little by way of actual support really but it was all I could stand. Sainsburys do them and Asda both calling them comfort bras in sizes S-XL and I still use them! (Disclaimer: I've also NEVER in my life had a well fitting bra and need a MN intervention really but I gave up after a particularly bad experience in M&S 6 mths post dd!)

CelticPromise Sun 05-Jul-15 21:53:00

Right. Measure round your ribcage tightly underneath your boobs. Then bend forwards 90 degrees and measure round your dangling boobs quite loosely. Post the numbers and I'll give you a starter for ten. I am a part timer compared to the dedicated bra ladies of MN but I have intervened a few people!

I bet you can pull the 44 band a long way from your body. A c cup on a 44 is not the same size as one on a 34.

weelamb123 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:12:04

Sports bras with no wires xx

Lonz Sun 05-Jul-15 22:13:05

I got measured in Mothercare as they'd expect pregnant women there, they don't care, you can keep your bra on as well and they'll leave you alone to change.

AmyLouKin Sun 05-Jul-15 22:46:54

My boobs have gone up a cup size and although I can wear under wired bra for work it's not v comfy! I bought 2 comfort bras, from peacocks of all places, cos they were very cheap. They are actually really good, adjustable straps, which are better than ones I've bought previously, which always seemed to ride up, or just be too short! Guess they are made for shorter girls or something! I'm normally a 32 DD but have gone up to an E cup! It's not normally that embarrassing being measured, I've had it done a few times. I'd be surprised if you are actually a B cup, most women wear the wrong size. Good luck on your bra quest!

sianihedgehog Mon 06-Jul-15 11:40:54

So far this pregnancy I have been: 34b, 34C, 34D, 36D, 36c and am currently 38B. And as my bump has developed I've not only found that my ribcage grew drastically, but because it's so high and close to my boobs, anything with a thick bit under the cup is agony. I'd just go and try a whole bunch of sizes on in store and see what fits. And buy cheap ones because you'll probably need several different sizes by the end!
I'm currently in one of these from Peacocks:
www.peacocks.co.uk/lds-bra-seamfree-non-wired-97688.html?___store=default
Or
www.peacocks.co.uk/lds-single-padded-seamfree-cr-113189.html?___store=default
Or
www.peacocks.co.uk/lds-single-padded-seamfree-cr-95841.html?___store=default

Anything else is SO PAINFUL after a few hours.

kep1979 Mon 06-Jul-15 13:25:47

I swear by the Hot Milk sleep bras - I wear them all day. They have measuring instructions on the website too.

Dani240 Mon 06-Jul-15 16:00:28

I'm 34 weeks now, but when I was around 22 weeks I couldn't wear a bra for a few weeks either. I bought some of those cheap camisoles from Primark with the 'hiddden support'. It wasn't ideal, and probably would be even less ideal in this heat, but it did mean that I didn't have to go to work worrying about my nipples!

rubyred84 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:06:25

I gave up with bras at about 14 weeks. since them I have worn a comfort bra from Asda, they come in S, M, L etc. they are only £6, might be worth a try (although could be very similar to what you already have). I love mine, so much so that I haven't even bought a nursing bra, I intend to just pull these down! also didn't want to shell out ridiculous money on a nursing bra if I'm unable to breastfeed!

rubyred84 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:07:32

http://m.direct.asda.com/george/womens-lingerie/comfort-seamless-bra-black/G003991096,default,pd.html

OhEmGeee Mon 06-Jul-15 19:34:19

I bet you need to go up a cup size. Try the measuring technique as a pp suggested. And just because in one shop they don't fit, doesn't mean they won't in another. I find m&s bras a terrible fit for example. The band is meant to provide the support, not your shoulders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now