Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

French saucisson

(10 Posts)
ch1134 Sat 04-Jul-15 21:13:41

Is French saucisson allowed? I bought some from a market in France last week.

MissTwister Sat 04-Jul-15 21:26:36

I don't think so as its cured not cooked....

ch1134 Sat 04-Jul-15 21:36:32

OK, thanks. I'll have to give it as a gift then.

crumble74 Sun 05-Jul-15 14:07:37

If you really fancy it you could maybe cook it & use it in a few dishes if you are concerned? I have to admit I have eaten quite a bit of cured salami (pre-packed) in pregnancy and not suffered any adverse effects but then I'm German and we live on that stuff...wink

sarkymare Sun 05-Jul-15 14:11:27

I thought that freezing cured meats before you eat them removes the toxo risk?

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sun 05-Jul-15 14:20:32

I ate Parma ham during pregnancy and got scared about toxoplasmosis. I went to see my gp who looked at me like I had two heads when I explained. He'd never heard of toxo being transmitted by cured meats (neither had the two surgery midwives) but humoresque me and did the test. Came back negative......

Junosmum Sun 05-Jul-15 19:11:17

Freeze it for 4 days then defrost it or use it cooked in a recipe and you'll be fine smile

goodnessgraciousgouda Sun 05-Jul-15 20:20:34

I'm in Lyon, no pregnant women will go near it, AND those who aren't immune have to have monthly toxo tests regardless of what they eat.

So a no from me!

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sun 05-Jul-15 21:15:45

Toxo is a big thing in France, I remember having toxo as a mandatory blood test (as well as HIV) when applying for my marriage licence in Paris.....

ch1134 Sun 05-Jul-15 21:38:43

I gave it away, though maybe I should've frozen then cooked it! But now I'm a bit worried as I have had some chorizo, and the saucisson taster... I used to live in France and it was once thought I had toxoplasmosis, though it was never tested. Now I really hope I did, as then I'd be immune! It can be symptomless, but very harmful for baby, so now I know I'd steer clear.
Thanks for the replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now