Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What bedding/nightmare for a newborn in this weather?

(11 Posts)
Nottalotta Sat 04-Jul-15 20:40:23

Due in 4 weeks and really don't know what baby should wear forced or what blankets etc. Feeling rather stupid actually.

It is very warm upstairs in our house, i haven't been able to get much sleep as a result, even starkers with no cover. What would a new baby need to wear and what covers?

Nottalotta Sat 04-Jul-15 20:41:46

How I wish there was an edit function. Title should say 'nightwear' and forced should say for bed.

Flisspaps Sat 04-Jul-15 20:43:43

Nappy and vest, under a sheet or muslin.

Roseotto Sat 04-Jul-15 20:47:00

Mine's in a nappy with a muslin swaddle. Plus vest if slightly cooler. However the hospital had ac so sleep suit was fine in there.

Appleblossom82 Sun 05-Jul-15 06:29:47

My Mum says i was just in a nappy when it was really hot. No covers. But i was 3 or 4 months old by then. I dont know if this is deemed advisable these days or not.

icklekid Sun 05-Jul-15 06:36:19

This time last year ds was newborn and slept in just a vest or nappy with muslin over top when really hot. I blame the heat for not mastering swaddling. As a newborn they wake regularly for feeding /nappy changes so you can tell if warm enough /too hot. A room thermometer /gro egg is helpful to know and then google what is recommended we used the gro bag chart which also has recommendations if not using grobags. Download from here www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=7sGYVYiODoGY7gbX3pTwAg&url=http://gro.co.uk/img/downloads/EGM_EN_001_web.pdf&ved=0CBwQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEJkUZC2AmQzi1T-1q2QhX2FsLsTg&sig2=HXFVh6IA_lCFAAPb7re0sQ

PuddlesandMuddles Sun 05-Jul-15 07:02:30

Ask your midwife if she has any information. My favourite baby book "Your Baby, Week by Week" has a little table of what baby should sleep in and how many blankets by room temperature.

Nottalotta Sun 05-Jul-15 07:09:38

Great thank you. I have muslins, cellular blankets and a gro bag for later, also some swaddles from grobag. Its just so warm! I've spent most of the pregnancy worrying about winter (house can be very cold) only to have a bloody heatwave!

ceebelle Sun 05-Jul-15 07:48:27

Any photos I've seen of friends babies born lately have shown them sleeping in moses baskets just wearing a baby grow. I've only noticed as I'm due in August too so been wondering this myself.

PiercedMrsL Sun 05-Jul-15 09:42:58

This is exactly what I've been wondering too! Although I did read it's better for them to be too cool than too hot, how true is this?

Nottalotta Sun 05-Jul-15 10:40:00

True I think, its what I was told at ante natal class.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now