Advanced search


(8 Posts)
winsones Sat 04-Jul-15 08:02:01

Not sure what to call it but I'm not panicking, I think it's just the uncertainty!
I'm 16+4 and due mid-Dec. My OH has applied for a new position in his company but in Canada!! (I am fully behind him and supportive, amazing opportunity for both of us, in fact I persuaded him to go for it - it just feels right).
However, the reality is kicking in for me.
It is likely he will get it and if he does he will have to move out in Sept with me and our Lab following in early Oct.
It is not the scale of things we need to do things (which is big) but the timeframe and current uncertainty. We both work full time as well. Work know I'm pregnant and spoken to HR about mat leave but if this does happen I will be just leaving.
We'll rent our house out but can't action until he would receive an offer; I'm crazily sorting, selling and donating crap we don't need; I don't want to buy anything for the baby as we'd have to pack it (keeping packing to a min.)
I think it is just the enormity of everything that will need to happen in such a short time frame, eek!!!
Still uber excited!!
Just looking for reassurance really.

Crimblecrumble Sat 04-Jul-15 13:52:14

That sounds like a great opportunity! There will be lots to do if he gets the job, but maybe hold off on the planning until you know where you stand. If he goes in Sep and you are following in Oct you will need to check your airlines rules about flying during pregnancy, i think you can fly short haul up to 7 months and long haul up to 5 months, just make sure you check before you book and pay for any flights! Hope it goes well for you xxx

Junosmum Sat 04-Jul-15 15:09:52

Fantastic opportunity!

Yes, it's a bit of leap but so long as you are healthy there should be no issues. You'll need to get a pet passport for the dog though, which can take several weeks.

Also, hubs will need to make sure that obstetrics is specifically covered in his insurance. Gyno usually is but obs- you certainly don't want to be paying to give birth in Canada (they implement a pay per use system for uninsured foreigners).

Best of luck with it all - it sounds amazing.

fanjodisfunction Sat 04-Jul-15 15:14:42

sounds amazing, and what a story to tell your little one.

you sound clued up about it all and I think I would do the same in your shoes, good luck.

chopsface Sat 04-Jul-15 15:43:09

Canada sounds amazing and good luck to you with the move!

However, as crumble said be wary about being able to fly in later pregnancy. I'm also due in mid Dec so aware that you will also be around 30 weeks in Oct. I think you might need a doctor's note of health if you're allowed to fly at all! I hope you can!

winsones Sat 04-Jul-15 18:56:18

Thanks for the comments lovelies!
I've checked with both airlines were looking at and they say fine up to 36 wks. I can still fly with them from 36-38 but with a Drs note received within 24hr window.
Yep, need to sort dog's booster, rabies and passport. Also get him a plastic transit kennel.
I feel like I'm doing all the right things, loads going to the charity shops! Odd jobs around the house that need finishing lol!!
I should just make a massive list of everything that would need doing before we go and prioritise smile

winsones Sat 04-Jul-15 18:59:07

I'll be 34 wks at the beginning of November but have a feeling I would be flying out early October anyway smile

LAB123 Sat 04-Jul-15 19:15:37

Could you just not tell your employer and claim your mat pay? Make out he's there on a short term thing and you're going with him because you're off work? Seems a shame to miss out on any mat pay you're due? Sounds fab by the way so hope it goes well x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: