Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

NQT, pregnant and feel like I'm in bitchiest school in the world :(

(16 Posts)
pinkflumps Sat 04-Jul-15 06:40:45

I am 6 weeks away from due date and have two weeks left at school where I've been on a one year contract in a primary school. I've had a pretty rough pregnancy so far, caught every bug going and had frequent kidney infections as well as hypoglycaemia and, as such, have been clocking up quite a few days off.

I've been off for a couple of days this past week and have heard that EVERYONE is bitching about me, even people I thought were my friends. Another teacher, who's also pregnant but about 8 weeks behind me was heard joking about me with another colleague saying "I'm pregnant...maybe I should just not come in too".

I've really struggled this last few months and have dragged myself in much more days than I probably should have but the teacher guilt gets to me. I feel like I'm going to have to drag myself in on Monday despite feeling like shite, to prevent these people bitching about me.

Are all schools this bitchy or have I just ended up in a particularly nasty snakepit? Seriously reconsidering career options post maternity.

annandale Sat 04-Jul-15 06:42:51

No not all workplaces are this bad, this is something management could stamp on if they chose.
You're on a contract, finish it with your head held high and sayonara.

PotteringAlong Sat 04-Jul-15 06:49:54

They shouldn't have done it, no question BUT I've worked in a really tough school which was plagued by staff absence and I confess to a few "ffs" moments when I realised they were off again. Not because I thought they were not genuine, but because my tough job is so much tougher when people who are meant to be there aren't. I'd have kept my thoughts to myself though.

batfish Sat 04-Jul-15 06:54:10

They sound horrid, I've had the easiest pregnancy in the world so far but am well aware that some women suffer horribly all the way through and would never compare myself, everyone has a different experience and not everyone is lucky to have an easy ride. They sound like a bunch of bitches, don't let them bully you into going in when you don't feel you can, you and your baby are the most important thing not keeping up appearances to those people who obviously don't care much. Enjoy the end of your pregnancy after you finish work.

pinkflumps Sat 04-Jul-15 06:57:14

Thanks guys.

Pottering I do appreciate what you are saying.

pinkflumps Sat 04-Jul-15 06:59:26

Can I state, for the record, I had no days off prior to pregnancy.

CuppaSarah Sat 04-Jul-15 08:02:05

Some people are just twats. Not everyone has an easy pregnancy and if they don't understand that, its not your problem. Just be glad you know what school to avoid or and when you return to work. All you need to worry about it yourself anands your baby.

I would quite like to see how little miss perfect pregnancy is coping in 8 weeks time. Because 26 and 34 weeks pregnant are very different. But of course she won't be fighting this heat in her third trimester.

m33r Sat 04-Jul-15 08:32:59

In a few weeks when you have your little one this will seem so insignificant and you wonmt give a stuff. I'm so sorry that this is no help to you now though. flowers

I'm not sure if this helps but my friend who is a lovely lovely person had been ttc for 3 years and got really bitchy about pregnant people (and shut me out when I was pregnant) taking time off, looking tired, gaining weight etc. it was just a defence mechanism so try to think maybe they're all just jealous (even if not ttc) and try to just rise above it because you have your little baby and they don't.

I really hope you're ok. It sounds bloody awful

LadyJuliaFlyte Sat 04-Jul-15 08:44:58

Fight back. Tell the head you'll put in a grievance if the comments don't stop. Bullies rely on you just taking whatever they dish out. You don't have to get stroppy, just be very calm and matter of fact.

PotteringAlong Sat 04-Jul-15 11:31:28

If you are going to to drag yourself in on Monday so they've got nothing to bitch about (which suggests you had already decided previously to have it off regardless of how you felt after the weekend) how many days could you have worked though but you chose not to?

Littlemissjt Sat 04-Jul-15 12:14:59

No, not all schools are this bitchy. Your post sounds like you haven't heard these remarks personally and it comes across as though maybe one twisted "friend" is telling you all of this? See out your last two weeks with your head held high and don't worry about it. You've more important things to think about! Try not to get too upset over it all and enjoy the last of your pregnancy as much as you can.

domesticslattern Sat 04-Jul-15 12:23:33

I find it hard to believe EVERYONE is bitching about you. Many of the mothers of your pupils will be in total awe of you teaching their kids when heavily pregnant and in this heat too. Because we remember our own pregnancies! Chin up for the next 2 weeks and then the thank-you for teaching my child cards should hopefully start to roll in? A nice note to end on.
I think what I am saying is ignore staff room gossip, there are other important people who appreciate you more- the kids and the parents. flowers

Toffeelatteplease Sat 04-Jul-15 12:38:20

You're an NQT and 8 months pregnant? Other people have been covering for you a fair bit and your children would have had inconsistent schooling. I can see why (rightly or wrongly) that would piss a few people off

BlueBirdBlue Sat 04-Jul-15 20:04:09

Your and your baby's health are the most important things. Everyone's pregnancy is different. I've had to clock up a few days off already and I'm only at 26 weeks - mostly because I was exhausted and simply wouldn't have been able to do my job and mine is nothing as physically taxing as being a teacher. Sounds like you've had a restoring time of it and could do with support, not bitchiness.

BlueBirdBlue Sat 04-Jul-15 20:09:02

*rough time of it.

Blackandwhitecat3 Sat 04-Jul-15 22:54:16

Ignore all the bitchiness, including some of the posts here. What's most important is your health and the baby's. This is why absence when pregnant is not totted up like normal sickness is. Teaching is a really tough job, it's really hard to keep going when you're ill.

No two pregnancies are alike, and where one person isn't ill at all, another might be constantly sick. I picked up a stomach bug this week and it was far worse than if I'd not been pregnant.

Chin up, do as much as you can, and leave with your head held high. And good luck for 6 weeks' time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now