Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hospital bag

(22 Posts)
Toothfairy7 Fri 03-Jul-15 17:49:54

Hi ladies,
I am currently going through new baby clothes/ washing things etc ready for packing hospital bags soon... I have a lovely big changing bag and wondered is that suitable for use as the baby's hospital bag? Il have my hospital bag and husbands little bag of bits and bobs but for baby do they need a huge bag or could I double up the changing bag with all the necessities and the bits of clothing needed? What does everybody else find they definitely need when they go into hospital?

MissTwister Fri 03-Jul-15 18:17:58

My baby stuff is in a changing bag - I don't see how this is a problem if you can fit it all in!

Toothfairy7 Fri 03-Jul-15 19:01:48

misstwister cool!!! Sounds a bit stupid but I thought I'd ask anyway... Just seems like a good idea to start making use of it immediately as it's massive and fits all the essentials in plus I'm sure I can get all the clothes in too!!! I guess anything else that doesn't fit can go in my bag...

Runningupthathill82 Fri 03-Jul-15 19:37:46

I just shoved my stuff and baby's stuff in a big rucksack - no need for two separate bags IME.

MissTwister Fri 03-Jul-15 19:51:51

I've read separate bags can be easier as you can leave baby one in car until after therefore maximising space in room!

Artandco Fri 03-Jul-15 19:53:55

I just put in one small hold-all

Miss - but surely you will need baby stuff and yours at the same time?

SweetAndFullOfGrace Fri 03-Jul-15 19:58:01

Best advice I got was three bags:
- one for labour and birth (incl one babygro etc) - this one goes in with you
- one for the first night or so and going home - this one stays in the car until after the birth
- one for the possibility of an extended stay - this one stays at home

Dollyemi Fri 03-Jul-15 20:02:35

Change bag is a good idea, just make sure everything is easy to find for your partner as he's likely to be designated the getting baby clothes out job whilst you're busy! We didn't know the sex of the baby so had pink, blue and unisex vests/sleep suits plus all the usual changing things so if you can fit all that in one bag then great. Ps. Heard a useful tip, take your own loo roll, much better than the horrid nhs loo paper, I was very grateful of that post delivery!

Artandco Fri 03-Jul-15 20:04:07

Sweet - that wouldn't have worked here. No car parked outside first of all. But also baby threw up Over first outfit in 2 mins, and dh was holding baby skin to skin whilst I showered and changed, so wouldn't have wanted him to have to rush out and get another bag.

Changing bag should be fine though

LibrariesGaveUsPower Fri 03-Jul-15 20:14:09

I would say a bag for labour and after (you and baby) and (assuming you have a car outside ) one for if you need to stay in longer than a few hours. At least three sets of baby clothes in the first bag!

Runningupthathill82 Fri 03-Jul-15 20:22:26

Sweet - wouldn't have worked here either. No parking anywhere near the maternity unit, other than for drop off. Not an ideal arrangement!

MishMooshAndMogwai Fri 03-Jul-15 20:22:56

Mine and babies are in the same small bag- it's the bag I had with me in hospital with dd which was crammed full then but this time it's only half full! I took far far too much last time and have slimmed it down a lot this time.

artandco has reminded me that I might need a second baby outfit though, dd only needed a sleep suit and a going home outfit.

It sounds very under control and bare necessities but I'm planning a home birth so I have several bags and boxes in the corner to cover every possible eventuality surrounded by lists of what's in which box and bag so DP can find it for me and what needs to be transferred into the hospital bag just in case I need to go (too tight to buy an extra of things!).

Artandco Fri 03-Jul-15 20:30:23

Mish - yep! If he hadn't thrown up on it we would have only used one outfit as went home that afternoon and he went in the second baby grow. Think I packed 4 baby changes of clothing.

Appleblossom82 Fri 03-Jul-15 20:35:26

Im taking a weekend bag for me and a changing bag for baby.

leoteddy Fri 03-Jul-15 20:38:36

I had a my bag for labour with a little ziplock bag with baby's first baby gro, hat and a couple of nappies. A changing bag with other baby stuff in in the car and I'd packed an Emergency bag in case I got kept in

zzzzz Fri 03-Jul-15 20:45:27

I avoid taking my changing bag to hospital because hospitals are surprisingly scanky.
One wheelie bag with zip locks of different bits, baby outfit, change on clothes for me, wash stuff, books and snacks, cash and phone...big bin bag for soiled clothes.

ffallada Fri 03-Jul-15 20:54:07

It's the subject of many debates on mn but I think it's a total mistake to take the labels off things to wash them prior to baby arriving.
I had a late growth scan and was predicted to have a 6-7lb baby, when my lovely chunky 9.8lber popped out he was far too large for the clothes I had ready. He went straight into 1-3 months size skipping tiny baby and newborn all together. It's not a big deal but I think it's a shame to waste clothes.
Good luck

LovelyWeatherForDucks Fri 03-Jul-15 21:03:25

I'm taking a small weekend wheels hold-all for my stuff, plus changing bag for baby bits, just cause it's a handy size.
Also going to have an bag of 'extras' in the car in case of a longer stay (ie more clothes for me and baby, extra nappies and wipes, mainly).

LibrariesGaveUsPower Fri 03-Jul-15 21:07:28

I agree falladda. Somehow newborn size passed me by with DD1. Which is just as well as she was over 9 lbs. Next two I just thought 'ah, DH can buy some small if we need them'. We didn't grin

LibrariesGaveUsPower Fri 03-Jul-15 21:08:11

Sorry, posted too soon.

But if I had bought small sizes I would just have washes one or two.

Nottalotta Fri 03-Jul-15 21:48:36

Hadn't thought of using the changing bag! Great idea! People seem to take an awful lot of stuff, I am trying to keep it to a sensible amount then i read what others take and panic a bit!

Artandco Fri 03-Jul-15 21:57:06

Remember hospitals do actually have supplies if needed so you only need to take stuff to prepare for the average not the worst. A midwife told that to me once which reassured me. She said no they don't have resources or money to give every new baby a supply of nappies but they do have plenty for those who arrive with none/ emergencies/ those that brought plenty for average baby but used up for whatever reason. Same with clothing, they hope people bring a couple of changes in for baby, but aren't expecting 10 changes of clothes each so if baby is born and sick/ diarrhoea quickly and all 5 changes used up quick, or course they are happy to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now