Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Trimethoprim 200mg for UTI, 26 weeks - is it ok to take?

(9 Posts)
seriouslynonames Fri 03-Jul-15 17:38:44

Just been prescribed this for UTI I didn't know I had (went to doc as had a weird violent shivering episode during the night and was worried about what all the muscle spasms might have done to poor baby, who was getting squashed by my abdominal muscles).

He tested my urine and prescribed 3 days of this drug and said it's fine for 2nd/3rd trimester - but the patient info leaflet (which I've had to find online as the chemist didn't include one) says do NOT use in pregnancy...

Assuming the GP (who is very good) knows what he's talking about but would help to know if anyone else has taken this in pregnancy!

It's only 6 tablets over 3 days....

Also wondering whether the sudden 'seizure - like' movements of the baby, which woke me up this morning, may be related to the infection. Doc wasn't clear on this (how could he be, i guess) but checked heart beat briefly with doppler, commented on how active the baby was and said to come back if any further problems and he would refer me on for a scan, but thought the drugs should make things settle down.

Any similar experiences / advice?!
Thank you!

anonymice Fri 03-Jul-15 17:44:01

I took it when DD was about 20 weeks. No bad effects. Is important to get the UTI under control as I am sure your GP explained. But definitely speak to them again if you are worried about the movements. Best of luck

SweetAndFullOfGrace Fri 03-Jul-15 17:56:38

The patient information leaflet can best be described as "arse covering" when it comes to drug usage in pregnancy, they very very rarely say it's ok.

Obviously it's best to take no drugs at all but sometimes it's necessary to balance the risk of taking against the risk of not taking. UTIs untreated in pregnancy aren't good news.
"^Untreated upper UTIs are associated with low birth weight, prematurity, premature labor, hypertension, preeclampsia, maternal anemia, and amnionitis.[13] A retrospective population-based study by Mazor-Dray et al showed that UTI during pregnancy is independently associated with intrauterine growth restriction, preeclampsia, preterm delivery, and cesarean delivery.[10] A prospective cohort study of pregnant patients also suggested an association between maternal UTI and childhood asthma.[14]^"
here

It's completely understandable to be worried though. Can you have a other appointment to go through the different drug options and the reasons for prescribing that one? Better than not taking it.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 03-Jul-15 18:02:35

To be honest it's more usual to be prescribed amoxicillin in pregnancy rather than trimethropin.

seriouslynonames Fri 03-Jul-15 18:06:32

thanks for replies.

I definitely want to treat the infection! I won't get another appointment now until Monday at the earliest so I guess I ought to take it rather than wait another few days leaving it untreated.

I had amoxycilin about 8 weeks ago for an earlier UTI so perhaps that's why he has moved me on to this other one this time.

urgh pregnancy is so stressful!!!

thanks - and any further advice / experiences welcome!

anonymice Fri 03-Jul-15 18:17:41

Yes trimethoprim is stronger and specifically for UTIs. Hope you are better soon.

CatsAreLikeChocolates Fri 03-Jul-15 18:28:00

Off-duty pharmacist here. Trimethoprim is fine to take for a UTI in pregnancy. If given during the first trimester it's usually prescribed with folic acid, but no need after 12 weeks. I'd get cracking with it asap so hopefully you'll be feeling better soon. It should start working really quickly so you should be feeling better by this time tomorrow.

I had full blown flu at about 30 weeks with DS and had a similar thing where I could feel him shivering or something. It was quite strong and happened about half a dozen times. Never did get an answer as to why from all the midwives/medics I asked at the time and since, but I was feeling so rough and feverish I figured he might be picking up on that, (sorry, not meaning to minimise your symptoms, terribly unscientific of me and very worrying at the time). He's a strapping 7 year old now if that makes you feel any better.

Hope you're on the mend soon.

seriouslynonames Fri 03-Jul-15 18:48:24

thanks so much Cats - good to get an expert opinion on drugs!

Will take it now and hopefully get rid of the UTI by Monday.

Thanks also for your experience of weird baby movements - all so worrying!

Fugghetaboutit Fri 03-Jul-15 19:03:03

I've just been prescribed Cephalexin for my uti, had in it last pregnancy too. Hope yours shifts soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now