Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help! Weight gain in 2nd pregnancy

(9 Posts)
bluebeanie Fri 03-Jul-15 13:51:32

I'm currently 11 weeks pregnant with dc2 (singleton - I've had a scan for early bleeding, everything on that front is fine now). I've already put on about 6-7 pounds and I can't understand how.

I'm only two years older than I was during my first pregnancy (31, I was 29). I was the same starting weight 7 stone 7, 5ft 5 (slightly underweight, but totally normal for me). By this point in my last pregnancy I hadn't put on any weight at all. My final weight at almost 42 weeks was 9 stone 3.

I don't get it!! I feel upset as I am doing everything the same. I get hungry like last time, but I'm having the same light snacks. I do the same exercises (swimming, walking, light weights, gym). Can age really be that much of a factor given my starting weight was the same as before? Is it a boy this time? (Girl last). All my pregnancy symptoms are the same though.

I spoke to my midwife and she wasn't concerned as I was slightly underweight to begin with, but it is bothering me. Obviously I am not going to try and lose any weight, I just want to maintain a healthy weight gain, but I baffled.

Any ladies got any stories or theories? Thank you

Newtobecomingamum Fri 03-Jul-15 14:18:40

6-7lbs is nothing! I had put on a stone at 12 week MW app and I was previously a slim size 10/12! This is my second and I seem to be ballooning!!

Not going to over worry as I haven't been over eating etc. Just going to wait until baby is born and work hard to get back in shape

Pagalee Fri 03-Jul-15 14:21:23

Thats not a huge weight gain. Its probably bloating/water retention. I honestly wouldn't worry.

applecore0317 Fri 03-Jul-15 14:25:49

I was 7 stone 10 and went up to 11 stone 10, I am now four weeks post birth and down to 9 stone already just from breast feeding, being more active and losing all the water etc

My point is, that weight gain in pregnancy doesn't always have to be a cause of worry. From what I can gather every pregnancy is different and your body won't always react exactly the same way each time.

I focussed on the baby instead of my weight and am happy I did as have always been weight concious.

CityDweller Fri 03-Jul-15 14:33:28

This does not sound like an issue to me. What are you worried about? Do you generally worry about your weight, etc?

bluebeanie Fri 03-Jul-15 15:24:44

I've always kept track of my weight (not that it varied). I do worry about putting on weight, but wouldn't diet in pregnancy (my baby comes first).

I guess it is the lack of control that bothers me and worry about not being able to return to my pre-baby weight. After my first pregnancy I was down to my pre-pregnancy weight by 5 weeks doing nothing.

I suppose it just means more to me than I realised.

goodnessgraciousgouda Fri 03-Jul-15 18:38:27

As long as you are not overreacting, and staying active, then you don't need to worry. It could be water retention (I assume you are drinking more in this heat) or it could be constipation or any number of things.

CityDweller Fri 03-Jul-15 19:26:03

I guess it is the lack of control that bothers me In the kindest way possible, this sounds as if you have some issues with weight/ food in general.

Seriously - try not to worry about it. You were underweight anyway. Just eat what you want during pregnancy and nourish yourself and your baby. Don't hold back on eating because you're worried about putting on weight. Listen to your body.

I gained more at the beginning of this (my second pregnancy) than I did with my first and was visibly pregnant much earlier. Now, at 26 wks, I'm guessing I'm about the same size as I was last pregnancy. Don't know about weight as I don't weigh myself.

Roseybee10 Fri 03-Jul-15 20:40:46

I struggled both times with the weight gain in my pregnancies. I gained far more with my first than my second but I did seriously freak out when I started gaining with my second. I probably got a bit obsessive with it as if I gained more than a lb a week after 20 weeks I got panicked. I can't tell you not to worry about it because I am definitely the same. I would say if you worry too much then let your mw know so they can give you some support in dealing with the changes in your body.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now