Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Midwife coming to house to do a sweep

(7 Posts)
sarah00001 Fri 03-Jul-15 13:36:11

Hi, I'm currently 40+3 days. My midwife has said she will do a membrane sweep on monday at my home. I'm happy to have the sweep done, I was just a bit surprised she's coming to my house to do it as I thought something like this would need to be done in a more sterile environment such as a hospital. I'm sure I'm worrying over nothing, but I'm just really scared about the risk of infection. The midwife compared it to having sex, in terms of risk of infection, however it seems to me that a sweep is more invasive than sex.

The midwife said the only other place she could do it that day would be at a children's centre with me lying on a play mat which doesn't sound hygienic at all.

Is it common practice to have a sweep performed at home? Should I ask to have it done at the hospital instead?

Thank you, Sarah

LibrariesGaveUsPower Fri 03-Jul-15 13:38:04

Yes.Very common in some areas.She will wear gloves. It is fine. smile

MishMooshAndMogwai Fri 03-Jul-15 13:38:59

Ive never heard of it and certainly wouldn't fancy it at the childrens centre!

I'm having a home birth though and my midwife is more than happy to do my stitches on the couch if needs be, I was quite surprised at that but they must be sure if they're offering it.

Good luck!

Momzilla82 Fri 03-Jul-15 13:40:27

Yes I've had 3 at home. They wear gloves which come out of a sterile packet. You're less likely to be infected by the germs in your own surroundings anyway. I shouldn't worry. Have a towel to put under yourself just in case. And tell them to be as vigorous as they like. if you're going to have it done don't muck about.

CathFizz Fri 03-Jul-15 13:43:03

I had a sweep done at home and I didn't worry about the risk of infection at all. She won't break your waters (so your baby is perfectly safe) and will wear gloves. Your home is probably the safest place as far as infection is concerned anyway. You don't have to have it done you know. I was 40 + 6 when I had mine done and it was another 5 days before I delivered my baby. I think they say if a sweep has worked you'll go into labour within the next 48hrs, so they don't always work anyway. Good luck smile

Cheshirehello79 Fri 03-Jul-15 13:47:42

Well my sister said it hurt like hell :-(

sarah00001 Fri 03-Jul-15 17:45:42

Thank you everyone for your replies. I feel better knowing it's not uncommon to have this done at home. I'll lie on a clean towel and the midwife said she'd wear sterile gloves. I have tubal infertility which I was told was most likely caused by a pelvic infection at some point in the past, and lead to me having to have IVF, which is why I worry about getting another infection. If this hadn't have happened, it probably wouldn't have been a concern.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now