Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

SPD and swimming

(11 Posts)
Cheesychop Fri 03-Jul-15 10:59:31

im so frustrated, I've got SPD but stupidly went swimming yesterday as it was so hot. It was lovely and I felt great, now I can hardly walk today! I love swimming and really want to try and go to help with weight gain and health. I know I should just go and float about but it's not the same.

I just wanted to moan at my fellow pregnant ladies.

Distracted15 Fri 03-Jul-15 12:01:08

I'm with you on this one! I love swimming and was really going to get into it as my pregnancy fitness regime but like you, the next day I can hardly walk! I can pathetically only do breast stroke and it's the amount of movement your pelvis is doing that aggravates it.

Have you tried front crawl as an alternative?

I've got a referral to see the physio about it in a few weeks and I really hope they can make it feel a bit better sad

TheHormonalHooker Fri 03-Jul-15 12:13:11

Breaststroke and SPD don't mix.

I've had severe SPD for 19 years now, had 6 major surgeries on my pelvis,
and was in a wheelchair/bed from 26 weeks pregnant.

I can't swim other than breaststroke so don't swim. When we go on holiday I walk in the water, which is great, or get one of those long polystyrene floats and put that under my arms and float about gently kicking my legs. I don't do it for long otherwise it aggravates it. Just floating is really nice, actually.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Fri 03-Jul-15 12:29:37

You need a woggle float! I bought one from a toy shop and I put it across my chest and under my arms and just gently kick my legs and it's fine for my SPD.

TinyMonkey Fri 03-Jul-15 12:53:14

I carried in swimming with SPD until the day before I has made baby, just switch to crawl or backstroke.

TinyMonkey Fri 03-Jul-15 12:53:28

*had my

CityDweller Fri 03-Jul-15 14:32:08

I also swam with SPD with no real probs. just do front crawl. You can always stick a pull buoy (those kidney/shaped floats, usually blue and white stripes) between your legs if you want and then you just use your arms.

Cheesychop Fri 03-Jul-15 16:19:41

If I attempt front crawl the lifeguard would probably jump in as I just look like I'm drowning!

I may try a float board thing and just kick my legs then. It's a shame though as breast front arms is really good for toning the old bingo wings.

hormonal 19 years! You poor thing! I feel bad for moaning about just a few months now.

CityDweller Fri 03-Jul-15 16:48:05

Other way around. - float btw legs so no kicking and use your arms. Most pools have pull buoy floats

Cheesychop Fri 03-Jul-15 17:33:01

Ahhhh right I see. I'll google it as I can't quite picture it. I'd like to still try again, plus I've just bought a lovely maternity swimming costume and have only used it once!

Cheesychop Fri 03-Jul-15 17:37:47

cityDweller I've looked them up, I see what you mean, do you use it in the thighs or ankles? Maybe try both?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now