Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Could this be a false positive?

(18 Posts)
clareabouts Fri 03-Jul-15 08:31:49

Have nc for this as some RL friends know my usual MN handle.

I came off the pill two months ago, haven't had a period but ovulated about three weeks ago (recognised the signs from when exP and I were ttc a couple of years ago). My usual interval from ovulation to period was 10 days so yesterday I took a test and it was positive. How likely is it that I'm really pregnant? ExP and I tried for over a year with no joy so I can't quite believe it could happen so quickly.

confusedandemployed Fri 03-Jul-15 08:33:04

About 99% likely (like it says on the box) grin

Congrats!

honeysucklejasmine Fri 03-Jul-15 08:33:16

It's possible. Congratulations!

clareabouts Fri 03-Jul-15 08:33:17

Ha, nc fail. Oh well.

Rosenwyn1985 Fri 03-Jul-15 08:34:24

False positives are pretty unusual unless you're on hormone medication etc. it's one of the reasons doctors don't test for pregnancy when you say you've had a positive result. You can always do more test though to be sure, best is first thing in the morning. Sounds like congratulations are in order to me!

clareabouts Fri 03-Jul-15 08:35:06

Thank you blush

I just wanted to make sure the want some obvious reason for a false positive that I didn't know about.

clareabouts Fri 03-Jul-15 08:35:57

*There wasn't

I'll do another test over the weekend - this one was yesterday evening.

Junosmum Fri 03-Jul-15 10:00:32

Congratulations!

clareabouts Sun 05-Jul-15 11:44:58

Another positive test, though this was a blue line one rather than a digital test and the vertical line was very faint. But a line's a line, right?

Still I think I'll do another in a week's time and then make a doctor's appointment...I'm away next week anyway and it usually takes about two weeks to get an appointment. It's not urgent to go right away, is it? The digital test said I'm only 1-2 weeks.

Notapinkgirl Sun 05-Jul-15 11:55:03

My Drs didn't want to see me until 8 weeks anyway.

Appleblossom82 Sun 05-Jul-15 12:04:51

You dont need a dr's appt at all. I called my surgery and they passed my details to the midwives who contacted me to arrange booking in (will be when you are 8-10 weeks approx). I have not seen my gp at all.

Congratulations!

Appleblossom82 Sun 05-Jul-15 12:05:43

And start taking folic acid if you're not already.

clareabouts Sun 05-Jul-15 12:10:28

Thank you! I am talking folic acid.

chopsface Sun 05-Jul-15 13:55:53

Your new partner obviously has better swimmers than your ex! Congratulations! And like the others my GP didn't want to see me and I just had to contact the midwives myself to arrange an appointment for when you're 8-10 weeks.

clareabouts Sun 05-Jul-15 16:23:50

Thanks all - but I'm now bleeding and cramping sad

Not very heavy so far but I think it's too late to be implantation bleeding. Will see what happens over the next few hours...

weelamb123 Sun 05-Jul-15 16:42:31

U cant get a false positive. A test can on come up positive if the pregnancy hormones are present in ur urine. Congratulations xx

honeysucklejasmine Sun 05-Jul-15 16:44:21

A lot of people get bleeds when their period would have been due. It's called a breakthrough bleed I think. Stay positive.

clareabouts Sun 05-Jul-15 16:46:19

Thanks, I'll try! At least, as a pp said, I know DP's swimmers are up to the job smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now