Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Got my BFP- now can I exercise??

(11 Posts)
Rose58 Thu 02-Jul-15 22:05:20

We got our BFP today!! I am only 4 weeks with no symptoms other than being super bloated and having very vivid dreams! I work out 3-4 times a week all high intensity / intense toning classes. Gym bunnies - what can and can't i do at this stage?

girliefriend Thu 02-Jul-15 22:09:16

Congratulations!!

Could you speak to someone at the gym to see what they suggest?

Rose58 Thu 02-Jul-15 22:14:33

I have and they say I can do most exercises just to take it down a bit. Doctors are a bit clueless!

CityDweller Thu 02-Jul-15 22:59:33

The general advice, I think, is that you can continue things you were already doing, but don't introduce new physical activities or fitness regimes. E.g. weight training or marathon running is fine if you've been doing it prior and up to pregnancy (after all, didn't Paula Radcliffe run a marathon at something like 6 months pregnant once??), but best not to introduce it during pregnancy.

After a while though, I believe you have to be careful not to let your heart rate go above a certain point as it can lead to overheating, or something like that. Can't remember the details, but you might find people with more knowledge on a fitness-specific form (such as Runners World, for e.g.).

MummyPiggy87 Thu 02-Jul-15 23:12:58

Ive always heard you should carry on with your normal routine. Just take the weights easy, the baby will be fine its you who could damage yourself, as apparently from conception your body's pelvic muscles relax and prepare for the baby which means muscle injuries are more likely. Just be careful x

Junosmum Fri 03-Jul-15 10:20:17

Yes you can. Just listen to your body and don't push yourself as hard as you would normally. And if you need to rest, then rest. I've found I can't work out anywhere near as hard otherwise I feel quite ill afterwards- even cutting the grass does it to me.

They also suggest avoiding abs exercises (plank, sit ups etc) after 3 months and reduce the weights you use from the start as the hormone relactin (sp) loosens up your ligaments and muscles making you more prone to injury.

Don't make up anything new and strenuous and spinning is a bad idea as your centre of gravity shifts and the risk of falling off increases.

I rock climb and hill work, but I also go to the gym as well - cross trainer and rower have been nest for me and I've just reduced the intensity of the body tone class I do. I'm pretty uncoordinated and can fall over in dance aerobic classes so I've stopped those too.

Healthy mum = healthy baby = easy labour!

Just don't push yourself. Yes you are pregnant not ill but your body is changing and you need to change your work out to reflect that. Your heart is already working harder as your blood volume is increasing.

sianihedgehog Fri 03-Jul-15 11:50:33

What citydweller said , keep on with whatever you normally do as long as you feel okay doing it. smile
I found that I wasn't able to keep up all of my usual stuff, pregnancy made me exhausted and short of breath, and round ligament pain was actually agonising. If you find that it gets too hard don't feel bad about slowing down, my midwife was quite firm about listening to my body. I've not swelled up like a fat balloon, so I think she was right.

clarabellski Fri 03-Jul-15 12:38:44

Hi Rose, congratulations!

My PT has told me I continue with usual exercise (mix of weight training and cardio exercise for rowing) but to watch that I don't overheat i.e. 'take it down a notch'.

As it happens, the sickness and extreme tiredness that hit me around week 5 meant that I didn't exercise at all between 5 - 8 weeks (which was hard to accept).

I've starting to see symptoms lessen in week 8 and went for a swim the other day to ease back in.

I've lost 6 pounds since I found out I was pregnant, which I'm sure is muscle tone converting into fat sad

Happy exercising!

goodnessgraciousgouda Fri 03-Jul-15 18:40:59

I wouldn't go for HIIT routines to be honest. Staying active is great, but don't let yourself get too breathless (they say you should be able to maintain a conversation) and don't get too hot.

Rose58 Sat 04-Jul-15 07:37:38

Thanks for the replies! I still don't believe I'm PG as have no symptoms!! I decided to loose the weights and cut back slightly this week ( burpees without chest to the ground) !!! At what point should I not be doing abb exercises?

chopsface Sat 04-Jul-15 08:13:04

Congratulations! Like someone else said, you may start to feel too ill to exercise before long! I had no symptoms at 4 weeks either but by 6 weeks I was hanging! I'm now 16 weeks and the only exercise I've managed since my bfp is 2 yoga sessions, after paying for a block, and 1 swim last Wednesday after paying for 3 months at the gym! I was joking to dh about enjoying my £90 swim! It's all I can do to walk to the bus stop to work without feeling shattered these days. But everyone is different!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now