Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pls help!!!

(10 Posts)
LoveLetters Thu 02-Jul-15 07:45:00

Went to hospital last night and they think I have a suspected blood clot on my lung. They want to do a scan but they said there are risks to the baby. I'm 10 weeks. I'm debating whether to take the chance and not have it. I don't believe I have a blood clot I think they are just being over precautious.

fingerscrossed321 Thu 02-Jul-15 08:20:33

Signed up just to reply to this - long time lurker!

A blood clot on the lung is a very very serious thing, but can be treated relatively easier if they know you've got one. I'm having to inject myself with blood thinners every day to try and avoid one (with drugs that don't affect the baby).

It must be worrying if they've said that there are risks to baby from the scan, but the risks to you are really quite high until they can treat you.

Ask them for more info on the risks to baby, but please don't put yourself at (I don't want to scare you), risk of death for something that can be treated successfully with drugs that don't harm baby once diagnosed.

flowers

hearthattack Thu 02-Jul-15 08:21:50

Crikey, that must be a bit scary. What kind of risk to the baby are we talking? Obviously no expert but I'd guess in my ignorance that whatever risks are involved in a scan are nothing compared to the risk to the baby if you do have a clot. Looking after baby means looking after yourself too. Fingers crossed for you OP, hope it all works out. x

Frillsandspills Thu 02-Jul-15 08:35:02

My mums boss in work recently died with no warning and it was later discovered she had a blood clot that had travelled to her lung (sorry I don't mean to scare you). So as PP said it is serious and if I were you I'd have the scan because in the long run you'd be better for it.

If it does make you feel better a friend of mine had an X-ray (and I'm not sure what else but a few scans) when she didn't know was pregnant and it didn't harm her baby.

I would urge you to go through with it although i appreciate how hard it must be. Doctors will do all they can not to cause harm to your baby but of course they have to tell you there's a risk, the NHS website has some information about scans in different areas of your body when pregnant and it gives you the the odds of it affecting the baby which might be good for you to read as it may put your mind at rest or make you feel slightly better about level of risk involved with your particular scan.

Wish I could be more help it must be a very worrying time for you but I wish you all the best. Good luck flowers

Skiptonlass Thu 02-Jul-15 09:28:49

I would also urge you to take the scan. A blood clot on the lung will have much more serious effects on the baby than a scan would. The risk of the clot, whether it moves or not are vastly higher than the tiny risk posed by the scan. But if you take the scan they will minimise risk to the baby and be able to treat you.

Doctors HAVE to tell you about all risks, however small they are, it's part of making sure they have informed consent from you. That's why even a pack of something like aspirin has a list of possible side effects that looks scary - by law they must include everything, no matter how rare.

I completely understand your anxiety - it's a natural reaction, but I would urge you to talk the scan and subsequent treatment through with your doctor. I say hand on heart that if I was in your position I'd be taking it. It's very difficult to tell if you have a clot, it's one of those 'silent' things. Only a scan will tell you.

Hope it goes well for you.

Fizzy13 Thu 02-Jul-15 10:05:36

Please have the scan. The dose will be so small that a holiday in cornwall will give you more. They have to tell you but it really is nothing to worry about.

cloudjumper Thu 02-Jul-15 10:32:41

Absolutely have the scan and any treatment they offer you - they will give you drugs that will not harm your baby. If it is a pulmonary embolism, it has to be treated. Your baby will be more at risk if you don't do anything, and so will you.

LoveLetters Thu 02-Jul-15 20:31:33

No blood clot but I'm severely pulled muscles in my chest from being sick it's labouring my breathing and giving me heart palpitations. I did the scan and it was ok. Thanks everyone x

fingerscrossed321 Thu 02-Jul-15 20:54:04

Great news that it's not a clot.

Hope the pulled muscles get better quickly and the rest of your pregnancy goes well.

mummyneedinganswers Thu 02-Jul-15 21:04:15

To give you piece of mind when Iwas 13 weeks pregnant iIhad a ct scan an mMRIscan two xrays and three abdo ultrasounds in 5 days while in hospital they coveredliwere tummy in 3 lead protective aprons and my little ooneis doing well iI'm18 weeks pregnant now. I would advise you to have the scans a ckot in lung isn'tsomething to be taken lightly xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now