Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gro Egg thermometer vs regular thermometer?

(13 Posts)
Penguinandminipenguin Wed 01-Jul-15 12:33:17

The warm weather has got me thinking about what to do to keep the baby cool when she finally arrives. Our bedroom was boiling hot last night, and I was worried about if it would be too hot for a baby to sleep in, so been thinking today about getting a thermometer to monitor the temperature.

Are Gro Egg thermometers worth the extra money, or are they a gimick and should I save money and just get a regular thermometer?

ShadowFire Wed 01-Jul-15 12:41:46

We have a room thermometer that doubles as a bath thermometer which is quite useful.

Our baby moniter also has a thermometer, and we can set it to alarm if the temperature gets too high / low.

Not sure if a gro-egg would add anything extra.

AuntieStella Wed 01-Jul-15 12:46:13

It depends how scatty you are.

It doesn't do anything that using an ordinary thermometer doesn't do, other than glow a different colour, which might just be handy if you don't think you'll remember to look.

Personally, I'd prefer to get a nightlight separately, and would chose one that didn't change colour.

MuddyWellyNelly Wed 01-Jul-15 13:15:16

Our house is an old cottage that although a lovely comfortable temperature right now, gets downright baltic in winter without the heating on. We've got used to the cold and were worried we would not get the right sense of comfort for the baby. It's also not easy to warm it up quickly, so I wanted something more than "feel". As I need to wear glasses to read things at a distance, we have bought the gro-egg. Means in the middle of the night the colour will be enough, if I pop my head into the room. I don't need to creep across squeaky floors or try to find glasses or anything.

Baby due in 4 weeks so not had a chance to try it yet, but will hopefully do the job it's intended for!

MissTwister Wed 01-Jul-15 13:19:49

I have decided no to Gro Egg - seems a huge amount of money for what it is. Our monitor actually has a thermometer on it - and you're not going to forget to check if it is hot or cold!

Lilydreams Wed 01-Jul-15 18:44:59

Little tip if anyone does want one but not the price tag- get on eBay- there's hundreds on there and I got mine for a fiver! Pristine condition!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 01-Jul-15 18:51:50

I seem to have loads of thermometers. The baby monitor has one on, and one came with the bath, and one with each gro bag too. So unless you especially want the gro egg I'd check you aren't getting a thermometer included with another item

Inpup Wed 01-Jul-15 22:38:10

I got one for the same reason as MuddyWelly - old cottage that is freezing in winter and just right in this heat. We do have the airing cupboard in our bedroom which is making it quite warm at night now due to the hot water tank ramping up the temperature. I would rather be able to see at a glance by the colour than peer at a digital display.
I got mine for a fiver off Facebay. Have a look see if there are any local baby/child preloved sites in your area.

contractor6 Thu 02-Jul-15 14:30:10

Got one in sale, was as cheap as ordinary room thermometer.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 02-Jul-15 14:34:32

I've got one and love it but it's definitely a gimmick. Does the same thing as a normal thermometer!

thatsshallot Thu 02-Jul-15 14:38:17

DS was born 10 years ago when it was like this for weeks. We scrapped the thermometer in the end as yes it did tell us the room was 30 degrees but there was feck all we could do about it and just stressed me out too much.

Slightly more useful in winter but just used one of those free cardboard ones we got with grobag

McWeedie Thu 02-Jul-15 14:44:34

I had it and thought it was great, doubled up as a night light so used it for much longer than expected.

whatithink Thu 02-Jul-15 14:52:22

I had one, like others mentioned I have to have my glasses on to read a thermometer and I liked the fact it was obvious to know if the temperature was correct and also doubled as a night light.
Only drawback I found was our house gets very cold at night, the Gro Egg would be blue, but as the temperature was changing, i.e. house getting colder when the heating went off or warming up when it came on, the light would keep flashing for a while between blue and yellow so it created a kind of disco effect in the room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now