Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does breast tenderness come and go?

(34 Posts)
warriorbot Tue 30-Jun-15 18:10:19

Finally pregnant after three rounds of IVF and am turning into a paranoid fruitcake (I hope!)

My breasts were really sore and swollen for a few days both before and after I got my BFP. But now, at 5 weeks, they've stopped hurting and seem to be deflating...

Anyone been through this and gone on to have a successful pregnancy? Is this usual and should I count my blessings that my tits don't hurt?

jdear Tue 30-Jun-15 18:14:52

Absolutely! After 2 miscarriages, there's one particular day that sticks in my head where my boobs went completely back to normal around 5 or 6 weeks. I resigned myself to another mc. Now here I am 22 weeks pregnant with a little girl and boobs that are 2 sizes bigger and still growing! Good luck I'm sure you will be fine :-)

jdear Tue 30-Jun-15 18:15:32

That was in this pg by the way if it wasn't clear!

warriorbot Tue 30-Jun-15 18:16:24

Thank you, jdear.

/changes name to "worrierbot"...

Cheesypop Tue 30-Jun-15 18:24:54

Hi warrior

I have major panics about my fluctuating symptoms as well! I haven't got many symptoms, but sore, swollen boobs were my staple. They disappeared on Saturday much to my concern! It was like someone had let the air out blush So it does seem normal for symptoms to come and go. Thankfully my craving for pot noodles has stayed with me wink

warriorbot Tue 30-Jun-15 18:32:04

Hello, Cheesy! Were you on the IVF threads too? Congratulations and many pot noodles to you!

LamppostInWinter Tue 30-Jun-15 18:35:39

Definitely. I had really tender boobs until about 5 weeks or so, then they went completely back to normal, no leaking or anything, for the rest of the pregnancy. I was convinced they didn't work!

scarednoob Tue 30-Jun-15 19:12:28

yep. symptoms are a really terrible indicator. there are some people who never have any and are fine; some whose symptoms are on and off like a light switch and are fine; and then very sadly some who have every symptom in the book and it's still not fine. leave your boobs alone* and do your best to relax - today you are pregnant and that's amazing!

* I molested mine to check for tenderness on pretty much an hourly basis, and burst into tears more than once when I thought they had gone soft....

warriorbot Tue 30-Jun-15 19:14:38

Thank you, ladies. I've been literally feeling my boobs in public. I am definitely going crazy...

Frillsandspills Tue 30-Jun-15 19:18:01

I was the same at 5 weeks, they were occasionally tender and id love it because it was a symptom I could tick off the list to reassure myself everything was fine. Then they stopped being sore and I got myself all worried, but days later they'd be sore again. A scan at 6 weeks showed everything was fine! I got used to the soreness coming and going. I think the last time they were sore was at about 9 or 10 weeks?

I'm not 15+4 and (touch wood) everything is going fine!

You'll get used to them being sore then not sore. I mentioned it to my midwife at my booking appointment and she said it's just lucky if they're not always tender and some people have painful breasts for a while! At 5 weeks your hormone levels will be going up and down (so I've read) so often sometimes you'll experience symptoms when there's a surge then when they go down a bit you'll feel fine.

As hard as it is, try not to worry!

Good luck I wish you all the best flowers

warriorbot Tue 30-Jun-15 19:26:52

Oh gosh, you're all just so lovely. Congratulations all on your pregnancies and thank you for reassuring this anxious first-timer.

BadgerFace Tue 30-Jun-15 21:06:43

hurray for worrierbot on the pregnancy board! smile

Also happened here, really sore massive boobs for the first few weeks (50% win) and they deflated nearly back to normal at about 7 weeks. Wish the all day nausea had been the first symptom to abate! Although thankfully that also seems to have gone now too...

warriorbot Tue 30-Jun-15 22:12:33

Hey there, Badger! Hope the nausea is on its way out. Pass that baton my way grin

Cheesypop Tue 30-Jun-15 23:11:06

Hi warrior and badger I think we are all IVF thread graduates! Still hasn't sunk in after all of these years waiting, hoping, wishing... star

warriorbot Wed 01-Jul-15 07:45:08

It's strange, isn't it, Cheesy? Hard to switch my mindset to "things will probably be fine" after all the uncertainty of IVF!

MissTwister Wed 01-Jul-15 07:52:21

I found myself grabbing my boob in a meeting once to check! They definitely fluctuate in pain

BadgerFace Wed 01-Jul-15 08:11:14

Hi Cheesy! How many weeks are you now?

warrior The trouble with the nausea going is that I seem to have now lost the excuse I had to continually eat to stave it off... Oh well, it's hot, pass the ice lollies...

MrsTwister's post made me laugh. I have definitely surreptitiously poked my boobs in public a lot over the months of hoping each time whilst TTC. Although I expect I was not as surreptitious as I thought...

LazyRohazy Wed 01-Jul-15 08:18:37

I so needed to read this thread this morning! I'm 6 weeks with my second (DD age 3.5), but have also had three miscarriages along the way. I had sore boobs and occasional nausea from 4 weeks but the last couple of days it's been a lot more sporadic. Not gone completely, but my boobs are definitely a lot less tender. It's difficult not to think it's all gone tits up, if you'll pardon the pun.

Thank you for giving me some reassurance!

WombOfOnesOwn Wed 01-Jul-15 19:06:50

I'm in a similar position. 8 weeks today and my symptoms (swollen, aching breasts, nausea, heartburn) come and go like crazy. I had the tiniest bit of brown spotting a week ago and immediately panicked that I was losing the pregnancy because I'd miscarried before and wasn't feeling my symptoms as much.

But they came back! And now I'm starting to accept that every day is just...different. I figure this is my body getting me ready for the craziness that is having an infant.

Cheesypop Wed 01-Jul-15 20:06:29

Hi Badger

I'm 8.5 miraculous weeks into it now!

My symptoms definitely come and go although I have developed piles (sorry TMI blush) so it would be nice if that was one of the disappearing symptoms...

BadgerFace Wed 01-Jul-15 20:37:06

My new symptom of the day is constipation! It's a glamorous life...

FeelTheNoise Wed 01-Jul-15 20:56:54

Symptoms definitely come and go! They do subside here and there, causing awful fear. I thought my boobs had vanished the other day, but I have a massive wriggling bump so I really ought to worry less. I'm one of those mums that worry about absolutely everything though grin

WombOfOnesOwn Wed 01-Jul-15 22:54:56

BadgerFace, lucky you, constipation is the one symptom I've had 100% consistently from the beginning! The only way I get any "movement" at all is by taking a double dose of magnesium--I highly recommend this, btw. Good for pregnancy, good for baby, good for you, and won't give you urgency problems.

BadgerFace Thu 02-Jul-15 08:17:43

Womb I had the opposite issue for the first few months so at least it's a change!! Thanks for the magnesium tip, will get some today.

warriorbot Thu 02-Jul-15 13:33:29

Filing away the magnesium hint for later grin. Thank you Womb!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now