Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

10 cm dilated, say cheeeeeese!

(19 Posts)
Appleblossom82 Tue 30-Jun-15 15:09:58

Just seen on facebook that apparently its now a bit of a thing to have a professional photographer at the birth. I presume reportage style as per wedding photography hmm

Am i the only one thinking wtaf!? Seriously? Where has this come from?

MrsGentlyBenevolent Tue 30-Jun-15 15:13:12

What, as baby is making their 'first appearance'? Or for pictures after, when all yuckiness has been cleaned up? Because the former is just ew. Who wants to see pictures of little Harry or Jane poking their way into the world, in all honesty? Especially 'professionally done', that would be odd.

Appleblossom82 Tue 30-Jun-15 15:16:19

I think throughout labour and birth and after. I mean really?!

An exert:
I'm a professional birth photographer & it's such a special time to have captured... Dad supporting mum through labour, the very first breath & first moments as a family.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 30-Jun-15 15:16:59

My friend had a photographer at her home birth. My first thought was ewwwww but they were amazingly lovely. Obviously no 'up there' shots but the ones of a minutes old baby were beautiful, and ones of her and her DH during the labour - facial expressions etc.
It's not for me personally but honestly, I was amazed at how good they were

Appleblossom82 Tue 30-Jun-15 15:18:37

Maybe i need to get a selfie stick and can do my own hmm

Appleblossom82 Tue 30-Jun-15 15:22:31

We will def take our camera and video camera but only for the moments after birth. How weird would it be to have a photographer there?! What if you have to have forceps or something? I can just imagine flicking through the album....'ahhh thats the moment they did my episiotomy. Look at my face'

Lovely grin

MrsGentlyBenevolent Tue 30-Jun-15 15:23:07

Yes, I actually forgot about the 'in labour' part. I'm yet to do it (expecting my first), but the idea of someone clicking away to capture the 'beauty' (hmm) of the whole thing sounds like a nightmare to me. Poor photographer would probably end up with camera inserted somewhere they couldn't even push out!

Gunpowder Tue 30-Jun-15 15:24:33

I quite like the idea! Provided everything went well that is... X

Gunpowder Tue 30-Jun-15 15:25:02

Sorry for random X!

Tequilashotfor1 Tue 30-Jun-15 15:25:10

My labour pics wouldnt have been nice at all.

CuppaSarah Tue 30-Jun-15 15:29:45

I've seen some lovely home birth ones, but really its a bit much. But then I didn't want a photographer at my wedding either!

peggyundercrackers Tue 30-Jun-15 16:02:57

1 person advertising on FB doesn't mean its a thing to have done.

isupposeitsverynice Tue 30-Jun-15 16:05:53

I'm on the fence on this one. I can see it would be nice to have the pictures afterwards, but fuck having more people in the delivery room. I gave birth at home with dp and two midwives and that felt crowded and i wanted them all to shut the fuck up and fuck off wink

Appleblossom82 Tue 30-Jun-15 16:09:00

Yes, i realise that hmm but it wasnt one person advertising. It was a post by 'count the kicks' asking who had professional photographers at the birth. Then a lot of people commenting saying they had it or want to, plus people advertising their services.

HappyIdiot Tue 30-Jun-15 16:15:15

there's no way i'd want a random photographer in the room but dh did take some photos during my labour.

its quite interesting to see me at home looking relatively relaxed, then heading out of the door on the way to hospital with my tens machine swinging round my neck, bouncing on my ball in hospital eating toast and all throughout the day to soft-focus ones of me kneeling over the back of the bed with my synto drip in the foreground!! grin

to be fair, my labour was loooong and I think he was a bit bored! and dd managed to ruin the first photo that dh took of me with her by doing a meconium poo all over the pillow next to my head.

Strokethefurrywall Tue 30-Jun-15 16:19:45

I was going to have someone in the room to photograph when DS2 was born and I have a good friend who is a photographer who wouldn't be shooting "up the fanjo" pictures.

I wanted it really to capture our faces and DS2's first few moments of life but the only thing that stopped me was that he and his wife had only just had their DS2 and I felt that calling him way from his family at stupid o'clock in the morning was a bit of a shitty thing to do.

That being said, DH took a lovely shot of me with DS1 as he was lying on my chest and also DS2.

I have seen some utterly beautiful shots of the first moments which are really tasteful and not at all grim but each to their own.

This is one of those things like baby showers that you either get or don't get I think!

MissTwister Tue 30-Jun-15 16:28:26

I found wedding photos hard enough!!

Appleblossom82 Tue 30-Jun-15 16:33:52

I lnow miss twister me too!

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Wed 01-Jul-15 11:30:36

My FIL is a semi-pro photographer and I just hope he never gets wind of this.

He did a pregnancy shoot with BIL & SIL a few years ago & it was awful! I've expressly told DH I'm not getting my bump out in front of him, never mind him getting near the business end... bleugh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now