Talk

Advanced search

I've just fainted and fell down some stairs - worried about my baby

(16 Posts)
Frillsandspills Tue 30-Jun-15 12:36:58

Hi,
I'm 15 weeks and 4 days pregnant. Lately I've been feeling really dizzy whenever I stand up I assume because I haven't eaten much. I went to go to the bathroom before and fainted, it all happened really quickly but I fell down some stairs outside the bathroom and hit my head on the wall (I think it was the wall).

My heads quite sore at the minute and I've grazed my shoulder and I'm a little shaken up as it was such a fright.

I have no bump so I assume my baby is well cushioned in there I'm just worried that the fall might of hurt it?
Would it be worth ringing the hospital so they can check everything is ok or is it a case of if I did harm the baby I'd be aware now?

I think my head is more hurt than anywhere else and I didn't fall onto my stomach. I'm just terrified at the minute.

Thank you

BreadmakerFan Tue 30-Jun-15 12:37:50

Baby will be fine. You should get checked though. Take care.

Wolfiefan Tue 30-Jun-15 12:39:01

I would get checked out. It'll put your mind at rest if nothing else.
I tripped out the back door and landed bump side down at about 4/5 months pg. Everything was fine but I needed anti d because of my blood type.

lucjam Tue 30-Jun-15 12:39:05

You really should get checked out if you banged your head. Baby should be OK I would think. Are you alone?

lucjam Tue 30-Jun-15 12:39:59

Also you should find out the cause of your dizziness, could be lack of food like you say, or low blood pressure, I think your bp naturally lowers in early pregnancy.

TheyGotTheMustardOut Tue 30-Jun-15 12:43:59

Your baby should be fine, your body is made to protect a growing baby, but you should should ring your GP and see if they can see you today, you should get yourself checked out. Do you have a MW yet? You should speak to her about the fainting.

Frillsandspills Tue 30-Jun-15 12:44:13

Thank you I have text my midwife to see what she thinks.

Yes I'm alone at the minute I think it's a case of needing to eat more I've barely had any appetite lately due to the stress of splitting with my OH so I assume that's why I've fainted.

Wolfiefan Tue 30-Jun-15 12:45:09

Oh bless you that's hard. Try and eat well for the sake of both of you. Xx

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Tue 30-Jun-15 13:15:12

I've done this a few times. I got checked out the first time and we were fine. I had a couple of dizzy spells and falls later on but could feel the baby kicking so just waited until the next midwife appointment. No harm done any of those times.

I've been really struggling to eat at times due to stress and I've had blood tests which have shown that my blood sugar keeps dropping which has been causing dizzy spells and headaches. The advice I have received is to eat lots more slow release carbs (lots of porridge, rice and pasta) and to have fast release stuff (fruit juice) available if I start to feel lightheaded. I know it's hard when you're stressed/miserable - you can only try to eat the best you can!

Frillsandspills Tue 30-Jun-15 13:46:34

Thank you so much. I'm sure everything is fine it's just that I can't really feel movement yet anyway so I've nothing to feel reassurance about.

I'm going to eat some pasta before going to the hospital as its been advised I go in for my own reassurance more than anything. I think if anything it's made me realise I need to look after myself more!

MrsRossPoldark Tue 30-Jun-15 13:50:46

You might find hospital is more worried about you banging your head than baby. You do need to eat though - look after yourself and if you need us, we're right here for you - baby; head; exOH issues...
flowersflowersflowers

Anotherdayanotherdollar Tue 30-Jun-15 14:02:04

I'm sure baby will be fine but best to get checked out. If you are rhesus negative you will need anti d.

Frillsandspills Tue 30-Jun-15 14:03:36

Oh thank you so much that means a lot. It's a shame what should be such a happy time can come with so much stress and heartache! If there's one good thing though, I feel as I've been worried it's made me realise I care about this baby way more than I thought I did. I was worried about not bonding and thinking it was the cause of my relationship breakdown when really it's probably saved me from a relationship that isn't worth it!

Time to look after myself and baby from now on!

TheyGotTheMustardOut Tue 30-Jun-15 15:42:58

Good luck! And flowers for you.

Frillsandspills Tue 30-Jun-15 16:59:33

Thank you!
I've just came back from the hospital and heard my babies heartbeat for the first time! Everything seemed fine I was just told to keep eating and drinking blood pressure and everything else was okay.

Time to start actually eating for two!

Wolfiefan Tue 30-Jun-15 17:01:47

Great news. All the best to you and the baby. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now