Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else get pain when you cough or sneeze?

(11 Posts)
hannahbanananana Tue 30-Jun-15 10:40:10

Hi,

I'm currently 11 weeks pregnant and ever since week 5ish whenever I cough or sneeze or move suddenly, I get a huge awful stabbing pain in my lower abdomen. Sometimes on the left, sometimes on the right. Only lasts a second or two but doesn't half scare the crap out of me when it happens.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about and probably muscular with all the changes going on but just wondered if anyone has experienced this?

MrsAnxiety1 Tue 30-Jun-15 10:42:53

It's called round ligament pain and it can get pretty intense, particularly when turning over in bed, coughing, sneezing and not emptying your bladder frequently enough!

If you're ever worried by it, don't hesitate to ask your MW, just in case, but it's pretty common and a sign that your ligaments are having to stretch to accommodate your growing uterus.

Iloveonionchutney Tue 30-Jun-15 10:46:56

Yep, I'm 25 weeks and get this, it's not nice but nothing to worry about.

scarednoob Tue 30-Jun-15 10:49:35

yep, I did at about 10-14 weeks, but it did wear off. coughing was the worst!

whatsoever Tue 30-Jun-15 11:00:46

Glad you've brought this up - I get this but very low down in my groin when I sneeze and usually on the left at the mo. Glad it is a "thing" and not impending doom!

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Tue 30-Jun-15 11:23:22

I've been getting this too when I cough or sneeze - it's eased up now at 15 weeks though.

Clairejessica123 Tue 30-Jun-15 16:12:28

I've just had this return at 21 weeks!

FernGullysWoollyPully Tue 30-Jun-15 16:17:36

I'm 26+4 and had this from very early on, fortunately it seems to have eased in the last couple of weeks. I mentioned it to the midwife today and she said if it returns treat it with over the counter painkillers.

Newtobecomingamum Tue 30-Jun-15 16:21:33

Yes I get this!

Bending my legs up towards my tummy or vice versa bend tummy down to legs and totally stops it! If I can feel sneeze or cough coming on that's what I do and I don't get any pain.

wispywoo1 Tue 30-Jun-15 16:21:37

I get this at 20 weeks. Have done since about 7 weeks. It's mostly if I sneeze and don't brace myself. It's worst when I'm driving. Last week it was so painful that it made me go light headed and I thought I'd have to pull over!

AmyLouKin Tue 30-Jun-15 17:51:19

I'm only 6 wks and have had this a couple of times already! I just put it down to normal changes but it's nice to know exactly what it is. Thanks ladies. ��

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now