Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Appointment with Anethesist today - what to expect???

(12 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Tue 30-Jun-15 09:48:21

I had a appointment with Anethesist today, what to expect?

Should I be asking questions? If so, what am I supposed to ask?

First time mum & absolutely loosing my mind in this heat confused

MumToBe2015R Tue 30-Jun-15 09:52:13

Anaesthetics**

mrsfazruns Tue 30-Jun-15 09:58:42

Is it for a c-section pre op? If so I would imagine they will do a medical history and have a look in your mouth so grade your airway. That's from nursing experience though not from personal experience!

Number3cometome Tue 30-Jun-15 11:09:11

I saw the anaesthetist, she discussed previous operations with me, had a look in my mouth at my airway and looked at my old back operation scars.

She then told me my best only option and completed the notes in my maternity book.

MumToBe2015R Tue 30-Jun-15 11:18:46

I'm being seen due to high bmi. So options I think.

Number3cometome Tue 30-Jun-15 11:24:34

OK she/he will definitely check your airway and discuss with you.

MumToBe2015R Tue 30-Jun-15 11:37:03

Does anyone know if I have a say in the decision of having C-Section? As I want to try natural first

Number3cometome Tue 30-Jun-15 11:38:01

There is no reason why you can't have a natural birth if BMI is the only reason?

Micah Tue 30-Jun-15 11:42:24

Of course you have a say. Your body, your choice.

If it's a VBAC ask if your hospital has a VBAC clinic, they are fab for discussing risks, options, hospital policies on induction, pain relief etc. They should have any previous notes too.

Be warned anaesthetists are often very busy and dragged off to emergencies at a moments notice. Take plenty of snacks and reading material!

Mine didn't really do much. Didn't look in my airway, just discussed why I'd been referred (have an old back injury that might affect spinal anaesthesia), and any risks.

Number3cometome Tue 30-Jun-15 12:25:24

Micah

OP is a FTM

BlueBee Tue 30-Jun-15 12:31:23

It may depend on who you see, I was referred for having a BMI over 30, all she was interested in was giving me healthy living leaflets. Yes I'm overweight, I was a size 16 before I was pregnant but reasonably in proportion for my height. I'm a nurse so know what to do to loose weight, doing it is another thing.

I told my midwife and she said that 'that one always does that' and then other person was more helpful.

Number3cometome Tue 30-Jun-15 12:39:57

I honestly would not worry too much about it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now