Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Birth plan second time round

(15 Posts)
Runningupthathill82 Mon 29-Jun-15 20:15:43

You know when it's your first pregnancy and the midwife talks to you at length about the different options available, and what you might like etc? And then you write it all down in a fairy story - sorry, birth plan?

Just wondering if they do this second time round. Do you write a birth plan again, or is it all que sera sera?

I'd dearly like to see my first birth plan. Not sure if I'd laugh or cry though.

(By the way, I'm not being scathing of birth plans in general - I'm sure many people have births which were as they wanted - but in my case I may as well have planned for a brass band and champagne reception).

Shenanagins Mon 29-Jun-15 20:20:22

First time round was the fairy story (liked that description) second time, "do what is necessary to deliver the baby safely."

GentlyGentlyOhDear Mon 29-Jun-15 20:35:19

My midwife talked about doing a birth plan this time and due to a fast delivery and 3rd degree tear with dc1 I attended a 'Birth Matters' clinic where two midwives made one for me (e.g. come in as soon as I feel I need to, midwife to use 'hands on' approach at crowning etc.).
I couldn't really think of much to say other than 'active birth not on a bed' and 'delayed cord cutting/natural 3rd stage'.
I've been trying not to think about labour and birth this time, whereas I researched the topic and hypnobirthing etc to within an inch of its life last time!

BagsyThisName Mon 29-Jun-15 20:38:59

I didn't bother 2nd time round after a difficult first birth.

However I had an amazing 2nd birth, all the better for having no expectations and going with the flow.

HazleNutt Mon 29-Jun-15 20:46:19

nah, can't be bothered. Either I'm fine enough to tell them what I want, or it's an emergency and they'll do what they have to.

ChazzerChaser Mon 29-Jun-15 20:49:24

First one, wrote birth preferences rather than a plan. Had difficult birth but my preferences and general ethos was still very much respected.

Current one, will write birth preferences again. It's useful for midwives to know where you're coming from.

Buttwing Mon 29-Jun-15 20:56:27

I've not long had dc4 and my birth plan just had epidural ASAP and no rotational forceps would rather have a c section.

I think if there is something you feel really strongly about put it down if not go with the flow. I knew I wanted an epidural and was worried I would labour too quickly to get one. Midwife was ace and got me one without trying to persuade me otherwise.

whatsoever Mon 29-Jun-15 22:01:23

Already started thinking about this and not sure what to do. My first birth plan was well respected until it started going wrong and then not. I REALLY didn't want forceps and got them. I was fobbed off when I asked for an epidural.

Got a healthy baby out of it so know it's minor in comparison but the episiotomy stitches got infected & took 4 months to heal & I had a rather unpleasant PPH & 3.5 hours of further labour (after the 12 hours I'd already had, that would have been less hideous with an epidural).

Not sure what point there is writing I REALLY don't want forceps again or, if I ask for an epidural please give me one?

soloula Mon 29-Jun-15 22:09:07

I never really had a birth plan first time round so second time I'm planning much the same way - just go with the flow. I didn't have an ideal first birth (25 hours back to back labour, failed epidural, episiotomy and forceps) so I figure it can't be any worse this time!

Runningupthathill82 Mon 29-Jun-15 22:24:42

Soloula - are you me?! That's exactly what happened to me, down to the failed epidural. I had a failed ventouse too. Am terrified of giving birth again.

soloula Mon 29-Jun-15 22:31:26

Oh don't be terrified Running - it's got to be better second time round, hasn't it? Most of my time in the labour ward was a bit of a blur from all the gas and air but my enduring memory is the anaesthetist appearing - and standing at the business end when I had started pushing so all on show lol - shaking his head saying he didn't understand what had happened. Not so helpful. Also took an hour to get the bloody epidural in as my contractions were coming so hard and fast by then. The only thing I'm worried about this time round is being induced and being in all that pain again without DH there to comfort me.

HazleNutt Tue 30-Jun-15 06:49:32

same here - induced on drip with back to back baby and failed epidural. This time, unless there's a clear medical reason, there will be no inducing. Maybe I should put just one sentence in the plan - if I tell you the epidural it's not working, then it's not bloody working!!!

Topsy34 Tue 30-Jun-15 07:21:19

My first birth plan will reamin virtually the same for the second. The onky amendments will be to include DS in the birth if he is there and wants to be and to include my doulas.

I have a slight chance of increased bp and if it endangers the baby i may be in hopsital rather than home, in which case i have a birth preference plan which my doulas have and no one will see unless i do end up in hospital

WelcomeToTheBungle Tue 30-Jun-15 07:31:26

I didn't have one first time round and was incredibly naive about what can happen in labour.

This time I've been thinking about it properly and do have a list of preferences - I want to be active in labour, waterbirth if possible, discharged straight home if everyone's ok. However if it all goes the same as last time (meconium and ventouse) then they must do everything necessary to deliver my baby quickly.

Chattymummyhere Fri 17-Jul-15 14:25:24

Birth plan for dc1 I wrote while in labour but didn't use it as I was 9cm when I got to hospital

Dc2 didn't write one at all, midwife didn't mention anything apart from booking in for my homebirth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now