Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Booking in

(5 Posts)
Starfish25 Mon 29-Jun-15 16:44:30

Hi, I have my booking in appointment with the midwife i'll be 8 weeks then and I'm just wondering if she is able to do a scan while I'm there just to check an see if things are doing ok? I mc in Feb so I'm desperate to know I don't think I could wait till 12 weeks. Thanks smile

lauraa4 Mon 29-Jun-15 16:52:58

Congratulations on your pregnancy flowers

A midwife will not perform a scan, this is only carried out by a sonographer at the hospital. If you really can't wait until your 12 week scan I would suggest booking in for a private early reassurance scan. You will have to pay obviously but if it eases your mind then it's worth it.

The NHS will only perform a scan earlier than 12 weeks if they feel something is not right with the pregnancy. For example, bleeding or pains.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Mon 29-Jun-15 16:54:14

Unfortunately they won't do a scan at booking, midwives don't carry out scans and won't have the equipment. If you want early reassurance the best thing to do is pay for an early scan (I did with this pregnancy at 8ish weeks).
Congratulations!

SnozzberryPie Mon 29-Jun-15 16:58:01

My midwife appointments are at the drs surgery so they don't have the facilities to do a scan. Later on they will check the heartbeat with a Doppler, but not that early on. As pp said you can pay for an early scan if you want the extra reassurance.

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Mon 29-Jun-15 16:59:51

The midwife at my booking appointment offered me an NHS reassurance scan at 7 weeks because I'd miscarried last year. I'd wait & see if that's possible before booking a private scan yourself. I got an appointment the next day at the early pregnancy assessment unit & was scanned by a sonographer there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now