Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Midwife and Consultant appointments

(9 Posts)
youlemming Mon 29-Jun-15 13:30:05

Hello, As of last week I started seeing a consultant due to potential restricted growth but I already had my noraml 36 wk midwife app booked in for this Friday before all this happened, as well as seeing the consultant again next week.
I forgot to ask if I still go to the midwife app's as normal, what do others do that are under a consultant?

coneywonder Mon 29-Jun-15 13:36:28

Yeah still go to your midwife. They will just dup your urine and do blood pressure. That needs to be done every 2 weeks towards the end smile

MissTwister Mon 29-Jun-15 13:41:14

And discuss birth place and plan at 36 week MW appointment

NickyEds Mon 29-Jun-15 13:41:45

I've been under the consultant (potential small baby too)since 27 weeks and haven't seen the mw until today-I'm 38 weeks. They just said not to bother as here they do urine and bp at the clinic when I see the consultant anyway. I suppose it's up to you, if you want to see the mw then go but if it was absolutely necessary they would have told you to go. Today was a bit of a waste of time tbh, did urine and bp but it was all done last Wednesday and will all be done again a week on Wednesday!

applecore0317 Mon 29-Jun-15 14:38:12

I chose to keep seeing my midwife as well as the consultant as I was able to ask her about things like breastfeeding, birth, skin to skin etc. Consultant was focussed on preventing me from going into pre term labour rather than giving me that kind of advice smile plus I never got to hear the hb at consultant appointments.

bonzo77 Mon 29-Jun-15 14:44:41

Go to both. MW is much better for more basic and practical aspects. I'm under foetal medicine and the focus is totally on the baby, without MW support I'd feel a little like an incubator!

youlemming Mon 29-Jun-15 14:49:16

Thanks for the replies, I will keep seeing both as so far it's all been very clinical with the consultant and I dont feel like I have had much info around what could happen in terms of birth options hopefully something I can discuss and have a clearer picture after seeing the midwife on Friday.

NickyEds Mon 29-Jun-15 14:50:12

Maybe they said for me not to bother as this is my second pregnancy and ds is only 18 months! Is this your first?

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 29-Jun-15 15:36:48

I'm consultant led and was last pregnancy, and have been going to both. Sometimes we moved the midwife appointment slightly so it's about a week after the consultant appointment, just because otherwise we'd be repeating blood pressure etc the day after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now